|Watson Chapel High School|
4000 Camden Road
|Motto||Preparing today's students for tomorrow's opportunities|
|School board||Watson Chapel School District|
|NCES District ID||0513930|
|NCES School ID||051393001140|
|Student to teacher ratio||13.96|
|Color(s)|| Black |
|Affiliation||Arkansas Activities Association|
Watson Chapel High School is a comprehensive public high school in the Watson Chapel School District in Pine Bluff, Arkansas that serves grades 10 through 12. It is one of three public high schools in Pine Bluff and the only high school managed by the Watson Chapel School District. It serves as the main feeder school for Watson Chapel Junior High School.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (February 2021)
Initially the Dollarway School District (DSD) sent older white students to Watson Chapel High and other area high schools, as it did not have its own high school for white students nor one for black students. In 1957 DSD opened its own high school for white children, Dollarway High School.
In the 1969-1970 school year the high school had 972 white students and 41 black students. It was previously reserved for white students. District Court for Eastern District of Arkansas judge Oren Harris, in 1971, ordered the Watson Chapel School Board to desegregate schools. All high school students were moved to Watson Chapel High while the former Coleman High School/Coleman Elementary School, previously for black students, was to become a combined middle school.
It 2018 the State of Arkansas put the school's acceditation on a probationary status.
The assumed course of study is the Smart Core curriculum developed by the Arkansas Department of Education. Students may engage in regular (core and career focus) and may select Advanced Placement (AP) coursework and exams that provide an opportunity for college credit prior to graduation.
Awards and recognition
The Watson Chapel Quiz Bowl academic competition teams have won the 2011 and 2012 National Academic Quiz Tournaments (NAQT) Arkansas State Championship tournaments that allowed the teams to compete at the national level.
The Watson Chapel High School mascot is the wildcat with school colors of black and gold.
For 2012–14, the Watson Chapel Wildcats participate in the 5A South Conference for interscholastic activities administered by the Arkansas Activities Association (AAA) including baseball, basketball (boys/girls), cheer, dance, cross country, football, golf (boys/girls), softball, and track and field.
The Wildcats baseball team has made 28 appearances to the state tournament, with 39 tournament wins, 13 semifinals, and seven finals; winning four titles between 1988 and 2000. The boys' basketball team has won three state championships as well.
In 2013, Watson Chapel won the state's Student Angler Federation (SAF) High School Fishing State Championship.
- Kyle Coleman, American football fullback and linebacker for the Seattle Seahawks
- Dante Wesley, an American football cornerback for the Carolina Panthers of the National Football League.
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Watson Chapel School District". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "Search for Public Schools - Watson Chapel High School (051393001140)". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "WATSON CHAPEL HIGH SCHOOL". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved June 12, 2020.
- "SCHOOL DISTRICT REFERENCE MAP (2010 CENSUS): Jefferson County, AR." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on July 31, 2017.
- Pickhardt, John B. (Winter 2009). "We Don't Intend to Have a Story: Integration in the Dollarway School District". The Arkansas Historical Quarterly. Arkansas Historical Association. 68 (4): 357–387. JSTOR 40543600. - Cited page 359.
- Pickhardt, John B. (Winter 2009). "We Don't Intend to Have a Story: Integration in the Dollarway School District". The Arkansas Historical Quarterly. Arkansas Historical Association. 68 (4): 357–387. JSTOR 40543600. - Cited page 360.
- "U.S. v. Watson Chapel School District No. 24". Casetext. 1971-08-11. Retrieved 2021-02-24. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Franklin, Ben A. (1971-02-06). "Court Warns Arkansas Board to Integrate Schools". The New York Times. Retrieved 2021-02-24. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Dorn, Alicia (2018-06-15). "WCHS accreditation placed on probation status by state". The Pine Bluff Commercial. Retrieved 2021-02-24. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "School Profile, Watson Chapel High School". AdvancED. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "2011 NAQT Arkansas State Championship Team Standings". National Academic Quiz Tournaments. Retrieved 26 January 2013.
- "School Profile, Watson Chapel High School". Arkansas Activities Association. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "2012-13 Record Book" (PDF). Arkansas Activities Association. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "Watson Chapel Uses Familiar Water to Win Arkansas State Championship". Student Angler Federation. Retrieved 31 May 2013.