Washington Township, Montgomery County, Ohio
Southern Washington Township, with Centerville in the distance
|• Total||31.2 sq mi (80.8 km2)|
|• Land||31.2 sq mi (80.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||958 ft (292 m)|
|• Total||56,607: 32,610 unincorporated, 23,997 incorporated (Centerville)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086681|
Washington Township is the largest of nine townships of Montgomery County, Ohio, United States. As of the 2010 census, the population was 56,607, with 32,610 persons residing within the unincorporated portion of the township, and 23,997 persons residing within the city of Centerville.
The township, through the independent Centerville-Washington Park District, contains eight community parks, nine nature parks and 33 neighborhood parks encompassing 1,000 acres in Centerville and Washington Township.
Located in the southeastern corner of the county, it borders the following townships and city:
- Kettering - north
- Sugarcreek Township, Greene County - east
- Bellbrook - east
- Wayne Township, Warren County - southeast
- Clearcreek Township, Warren County - south
- Miami Township - west
- Springboro - southwest
Because most of eastern Montgomery County is urbanized, Washington Township is the only civil township in the county to border Greene County.
Several populated places are located in Washington Township:
- Part of the city of Kettering, in the north
- Part of the city of Centerville, in the center
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Washington township, Montgomery County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved November 29, 2011.
- "Centerville Washington Park District". Retrieved September 15, 2019.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 478. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- "History of the Washington-Centerville Public Library".
- "Oakwood, Centerville nationally ranked". Retrieved 2006-08-11.
- The Centerville-Washington Township Historical Society, Retrieved July 15, 2016
- Township website
- County website