Walton railway station, 2013
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Passenger Transport Executive|
|Original company||Liverpool, Ormskirk and Preston Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway|
|Post-grouping||London, Midland and Scottish Railway|
|2 April 1849||Opened as Walton Junction|
|?||Renamed Walton (Merseyside)|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Walton (Merseyside) from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
Walton (Merseyside) railway station is a railway station in Walton, Liverpool, England, located to the north of the city centre. It is on the Ormskirk branch of the Merseyrail network's Northern Line.
Originally named Walton Junction when opened by the Liverpool, Ormskirk and Preston Railway on 2 April 1849, the station was renamed Walton (Merseyside) by British Rail. It is located just to the north of the junction between the Ormskirk and Kirkby branches of the Northern Line.
The station ticket office is staffed throughout the hours of service each day, closing shortly after midnight. At platform level, there are shelters on each side, information screens and timetable notice boards. Automated announcements are also used to convey train running information. Step-free access is only possible from the car park to the southbound platform, as access to the ticket office and via the footbridge to the northbound platform require the use of stairs. There is car parking for 10 vehicles and secure storage for 10 cycles. During November 2018 the height, width and layout of the platforms were adjusted to prepare for Merseyrail's new fleet of trains which are due to be introduced from 2020.
A Merseyrail Class 507 arrives with a service to Liverpool.
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 240. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.
- Walton (Merseyside) station facilities National Rail Enquiries; Retrieved 13 December 2016
- "Walton train station | timetable | ticket prices & facilities". www.merseyrail.org. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
- Houghton, Tom (21 November 2018). "Crucial details of Christmas Merseyrail station closures revealed". liverpoolecho. Retrieved 22 November 2018.
- Table 105 National Rail timetable, December 2016
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Walton (Merseyside) railway station.|
- Station information for Walton railway station from Merseyrail
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
towards Liverpool Central
|This article on a railway station in Merseyside is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|