Walter Walford Johnson
|32nd Governor of Colorado|
April 15, 1950 – January 9, 1951
|Lieutenant||Charles P. Murphy|
|Preceded by||William L. Knous|
|Succeeded by||Daniel I.J. Thornton|
|31st Lieutenant Governor of Colorado|
January 11, 1949 – April 15, 1950
|Governor||William L. Knous|
|Preceded by||Homer L. Pearson|
|Succeeded by||Charles P. Murphy|
|Born||April 16, 1904|
|Died||March 23, 1987 (aged 82)|
Walter Walford Johnson (April 16, 1904 – March 23, 1987) was a United States businessman and Democratic politician who served as the 32nd Governor of the State of Colorado from 1950 to 1951. He was the first governor to have been born in the 20th century.
Walter Walfred Johnson was born in Pueblo, Colorado on April 16, 1904. He married Neva Morrow in 1922. The couple had two children, Winnifred and Walfred. Johnson developed real estate and insurance businesses in Pueblo.
In 1940, Johnson was elected to the Colorado State Senate. In 1948, he was elected Lieutenant Governor of Colorado. In April 1950, Colorado Governor William Lee Knous resigned to become a federal district judge in Denver. Johnson succeeded Knous as governor and completed the remaining nine months of Knous' term. Johnson ran unsuccessfully against Republican Dan Thornton for a full gubernatorial term in 1950.
- Abbott, Carl; Leonard, Stephen; and McComb, David. Colorado. Colorado Associated University Press, Boulder Colorado, 1982.
- Athearn, Robert G. The Coloradans. University of New Mexico Press, Albuquerque, 1976.
- Newspaper Files of Walter W. Johnson. Denver Public Library Western History Collection.
- Ubbelohde, Carl, Benson, Maxine, and Smith, Duane. Colorado History. Boulder, CO., Pruett Publishing Co., 1972.
- Obituary, Rocky Mountain News, March 25, 1987, p. 147 and biographical article, June 25, 1955, p. 28.
|Party political offices|
William Lee Knous
| Democratic nominee for Governor of Colorado
John W. Metzger
Homer L. Pearson
| Lieutenant Governor of Colorado
Charles P. Murphy
William Lee Knous
| Governor of Colorado
Daniel I.J. Thornton