Walter Eugene Clark
Walter Eugene Clark
September 8, 1881
|Died||September 30, 1960 (aged 79)|
Walter Eugene Clark (September 8, 1881 – September 30, 1960), was an American philologist. He was the second Wales Professor of Sanskrit at Harvard University and editor of the volumes 38-44 of the Harvard Oriental Series. He translated the Aryabhatiya of Aryabhata with critical notes which was published in 1930, by the University of Chicago Press.
Clark received his A.B. in 1903, A.M. in 1904 from Harvard. After receiving his Doctorate from Harvard in 1906, with the dissertation titled "Quid de rebus Indicis scirent Graeci prisci quaeritur" he went to Germany to Berlin to receive further training under the Indologist Richard Pischel.
He joined the "Department of Comparative Philology" at University of Chicago as the "Instructor in Sanskrit". In 1915, he was promoted to Assistant Professor of the "Department of Comparative Philology, General Linguistics, and Indo-Iranian Philology" and from 1923 to 1927 as Associate Professor of Sanskrit.
In 1927 he became the Wales Professor of Sanskrit at Harvard. He held the position until his retirement in 1950. He was the editor of the volumes 38-44 of the Harvard Oriental Series after Charles Lanman.
He was a member of the American Oriental Society, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, the Linguistic Society of America, the Royal Asiatic Society, and the Société Asiatique. Among his other positions he was appointed the second Master of the Kirkland House (1935–46) on September 1, 1935 succeeding Edward A. Whitney.
- Walter Eugene Clark (1933). India. Open Court Publishing Company.
- G. S. (February 1931). "The Âryabhaṭîya of Âryabhaṭa by Walter Eugene Clark, Âryabhaṭa". Isis. 15 (1): 173–174. doi:10.1086/346545. JSTOR 224577.
- Smith, David Eugene (October 1930). "The Aryabhatiya of Aryabhata by Walter Eugene Clark". The Mathematics Teacher. 23 (6): 396–398. JSTOR 27951268.
- Babb, M. J. (March 1931). "The Āryabhaṭ��ya of Āryabhaṭa, An Ancient Indian Work on Mathematics and Astronomy by Walter Eugene Clark". Journal of the American Oriental Society. 51 (1): 51–52. doi:10.2307/593220. JSTOR 593220.
- "CLARK APPOINTED TO FILL VACANCY LEFT BY WHITNEY". Article, May 14, 1935. The Harvard Crimson. Retrieved October 17, 2013.
- Ward W. Briggs (January 1, 1994). Biographical Dictionary of North American Classicists. Greenwood Publishing Group. pp. 99–100. ISBN 978-0-313-24560-2.
- Silverstein, Michael. "The history of organization of a University of Chicago unit dealing with linguistics" (PDF). Article, 2006. University of Chicago. Retrieved October 17, 2013.
- "About the Harvard Oriental Series". Article. Harvard University. Retrieved October 17, 2013.
- Walter Eugene Clark at the Database of Classical Scholars
Charles Rockwell Lanman
| Wales Professor of Sanskrit Harvard University
1927 - 1950
Daniel Henry Holmes Ingalls