|Occupation||Film director, editor, producer, screenwriter|
Waldemar Bergendahl (18 April 1933) is a Swedish film director, film editor, film producer, cinematographer and screenwriter. Bergendahl is best known as the producer behind the films based on novels by Astrid Lindgren.
Life and career
Bergendahl was born in April 1933 in Årsunda. He grew up on a farm between Årsunda and Gästrike-Hammarby. His parents were farmers with cows, horses, chickens, pigs and many other animals. Bergendahl later went to University in Gävle. Then he moved to Stockholm.
In 1957 Bergendahl lived along with the production manager of Europafilm in an apartment in Stockholm. The production manager told Bergendahl to apply for a job at the film company. One year later, Bergendahl was part of the film crew of Miss April, a film with Gunnar Björnstrand and Gaby Stenberg in the leading roles. At that time he did know anything about film work, so he tried to help wherever he could.
Bergendahl dreamed of becoming an actor, but realized soon that he was not suitable for the job. However, he wanted to continue working in the film industry and therefore decided to work as a producer.
In 1963 Bergendahl produced the film Raven's End. In 1984 he started working with Astrid Lindgren and produced Ronia, the Robber's Daughter. His film My Life as a Dog (1988) was nominated as the best non English film for the British Academy Film Award.
Bergendahl has produced around 120 films. He has worked along with Astrid Lindgren, Tage Danielsson, Bo Widerberg, Lasse Hallström, Helena Bergström and many others. He always selected the employees for his films himself.
|1988||Mimmi||TV Series, 4 episodes|
|1997||Pippi Longstocking||TV Series, 1 episode|
|1999–2000||Eva & Adam||TV Series, 16 episodes|
|2002||Karlsson on the Roof||TV Series|
Awards & nominations
- 1986: Best Film (Bästa film): My Life as a Dog (Award)
- 1992: Best Film (Bästa film): Agnes Cecilia – en sällsam historia (shared with Ingrid Dalunde, Nominatio)
- 1994: Best Film (Bästa film): The Slingshot (Nomination)
- 1996: Best Film (Bästa film): En på miljonen (Nomination)
- 1998: Best Film (Bästa film): Adam & Eva (Nomination)
- 2010: Hedersguldbaggen as film producer (Award)
- Stefan Andersson. "Årsunda-son legendarisk i film-Sverige".
- Lena Wreede. "Waldemar Bergendahl: "I början ville jag hoppa av"".
- Lena Wreede. "I början ville jag hoppa av".
- Marlene Edmunds. "Svensk topper ankles his post. Bergendahl will still produce pix".
- Bodil Juggas. "Bergendahl ÄR svensk film".
- Lena Wreede. "Filmskapare som gärna lever om sitt liv".