|City||Myrtle Beach, South Carolina|
|Broadcast area||Grand Strand|
|Slogan||Classic Rock Wave 104.1|
|Former call signs||WLAT-FM (1978-1984)|
|Owner||Dick Broadcasting |
(Dick Broadcasting Company, Inc. of Tennessee)
WYAV is a Classic Rock radio station licensed to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and serves the Grand Strand area. The station is licensed by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to broadcast at 104.1 MHz with an effective radiated power (ERP) of 100 kW. The station goes by the name Wave 104.1 and its current slogan is "Classic Rock Wave 104.1." Its studios are located in Myrtle Beach and its transmitter is located in Murrells Point.
WLAT-FM in Conway, South Carolina played beautiful music at one time. The station then changed its call sign to WYAV and changed the format to a CHR/Top 40 format, under their new name as "The New Wave 104 FM". In the mid-1980s WYAV became the market's first 100,000-watt station and made another format change to AC. At the height of the station's popularity, WYAV bought an ad in the Myrtle Beach Sun-News to congratulate the listeners on making it the number-one station in the market. The format later changed to Adult Top 40, and eventually Classic Rock in 1993.
In the 1990s, WYAV added Howard Stern. Eventually, Stern became too controversial and was dropped because the station couldn't sell advertising for him, according to program director Brian Rickman.
In September 2017, Dick Broadcasting announced the purchase of Alpha Media stations in three markets — 18 stations and two translators in total, at a purchase price of $19.5 million. The acquisition of WYAV by Dick Broadcasting was consummated on December 20, 2017.
- Barbour, Clay (2002-03-31). "Dale faces Stern challenge as radio morning show host". Post and Courier. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- Toby Eddings, "WBTW still No. 1; Monica draws crowd," The Sun News, Apr. 4, 1999.
- Toby Eddings, "Holli Heart replaces Tab Allen at WYAK," The Sun News, Jan. 16, 2000.
- Venta, Lance (2017-09-05). "Dick Broadcasting Acquires Three Markets From Alpha Media". radioinsight. Retrieved 2017-09-06.
- WYAV official website
- Query the FCC's FM station database for WYAV
- Radio-Locator information on WYAV
- Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WYAV
|This article about a radio station in South Carolina is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|