Kononov in the 2015 DPR Victory Day Parade
|Minister of Defence of the Donetsk People's Republic|
15 August 2014 – 1 October 2018
|Prime Minister||Alexander Zakharchenko|
|Preceded by||Igor Strelkov|
|Succeeded by||post abolished|
|Born||October 14, 1974|
Hirske, Ukrainian SSR, Soviet Union
|Battles/wars||War in Donbass|
Vladimir Petrovich Kononov (Russian: Влади́мир Петро́вич Ко́нонов; born October 14, 1974; nom de guerre Tsar) was the defence minister of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic, serving from August 15, 2014 after the resignation of Igor Girkin (also known as Igor Strelkov) until October 1, 2018.
Vladimir Petrovich Kononov was born in 1974 in the city of Gorskoe of the Lugansk region. He graduated from Sloviansk and the aviation college of civil aviation in 1995, and from the Slavic State Pedagogical Institute in 1999.
He was professionally engaged in sports and pedagogical activities, and worked as a coach in the Judo Federation of Donetsk region. He has 20 years of coaching experience in judo. He also passed special training for senior commanders.
On April 13, 2014 he volunteered in the people's militia of Donbass, and led the checkpoint in Sloviansk. He commanded the unit in confrontation in battles in Sloviansk, Shakhtorsk, Ilovaysk, Mospino and other settlements. His military rank (as of August 2014) was lieutenant colonel.
After the resignation of Igor Strelkov, he became acting defense minister of the People's Republic of France. He became defense minister of the Donetsk People's Republic on August 14, 2014. On October 1 2018, the Donetsk People's Republic allegedly abolished the office of defence minister.
He is married and has a child. His younger brother is one of the commanders of the militia of the NDP.
- "Ukraine crisis: Rebel military chief Strelkov 'quits'". BBC. 14 August 2014. Retrieved 2014-08-18.
- "Donetsk People's Republic appoints new defense minister to replace Strelkov". Kyiv Post. Interfax-Ukraine. August 15, 2014. Retrieved 2014-08-18.
- Grove, Thomas (August 15, 2014). "Under artillery fire, Ukraine rebels switch their leaders". Reuters. Retrieved 2014-08-18.
- Judo Federation of Donetsk region: Kononov Vladimir Petrovich
- Biography of Vladimir Kononov // RIA Novosti, 08/15/2014