Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Marisa Silver|
|Produced by||Laurie Perlman|
|Screenplay by||Larry Ketron|
|Story by||Larry Ketron|
|Music by||Miles Goodman|
|Edited by||Robert Brown|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
A group of 3rd year medical students has to come with terms with the personal and professional tension that goes on in a teaching hospital.
- Adrian Pasdar as Michael Chatham
- Diane Lane as Gina Wyler
- Jimmy Smits as Dr. David Redding
- Jack Gwaltney as Kenny Rose
- Laura San Giacomo as Lauren Rose
- Jane Adams as Suzanne Moloney
- Tim Ransom as Bobby Hayes
- William Devane as Dr. Chatman
- Norma Aleandro as Henrietta Walker
- Bradley Whitford as Dr. Donald Ballentine
- Lisa Jane Persky as Bobby
- Wallace Langham as Gant
- James Karen as Dean of Students
- Eric Zoltaszek as Student
The film was originally to have been about a country doctor.
Leonard Maltin gave the film one and a half stars and wrote in his review: "Watchable, but of absolutely no distinction; stick with The New Interns, where you can at least compare the acting styles of Dean Jones and Telly Savalas. Smits effectively projects quiet authority as the surgeon instructor."
Janet Maslin of The New York Times also gave the film an unfavorable review, writing that the film "never has much energy of its own. The film's very basic problem is that it contains no surprising turns, and that its characters are familiar through and through."
Jay Carr of The Boston Globe criticized the film's screenplay: "Vital Signs has a much better title than last year's med school outing, Gross Anatomy. But it's not a much better movie. In fact, this coming-of-age-in-med-school film is DOA, sunk by a banal script, the kind that insists that every crisis contain the seeds of its convenient resolution."
- "Vital Signs (1990)". Box Office Mojo.
- Kempley, Rita (13 April 1990). "REVIEW". The Washington Post. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- "Vital Signs". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- Maltin, Leonard (2014). Leonard Maltin's 2015 Movie Guide. Penguin. ISBN 9780698183612.
- Schoen, Valerie (13 April 1990). "Poor Prognosis For 'Vital Signs'". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- Boyar, Jay (18 May 1990). "'Vital Signs' Could Use Malpractice Insurance". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- Maslin, Janet (13 April 1990). "Vital Signs (1990) Review/Film;'Vital Signs,' On Doctors In Love And Conflict". The New York Times. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- Wilmington, Michael (13 April 1990). "MOVIE REVIEW : A Slick 'Vital Signs' Races Past Substance". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- Carr, Jay (13 April 1990). "'VITAL SIGNS': SCRIPT GOES FLAT". The Boston Globe. Archived from the original on 19 April 2016. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- Gleiberman, Owen (27 April 1990). "Movies". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 25 December 2015.
- Vital Signs DVD release
- "Vital Signs Blu Ray".