- Nismes redirects here. The French municipality of which the name sounds alike, is Nîmes.
|• Mayor||Freddy Cabaraux (PS)|
|• Governing party/ies||PS, CDH|
|• Total||120.90 km2 (46.68 sq mi)|
|• Density||47/km2 (120/sq mi)|
Viroinval (French pronunciation: [viʁwɛ̃val], Walloon: Virwinvå) is a Walloon municipality located in Belgium in the province of Namur. On January 1, 2006 Viroinval had a total population of 5,680. The total area is 120.90 km² which gives a population density of 47 inhabitants per km².
Villages in Viroinval
The name Viroinval, Viroin (River) Valley, was chosen for the municipality that was formed by fusing eight villages, in 1977: Dourbes, Mazée, Le Mesnil, Nismes, Oignies-en-Thiérache, Olloy-sur-Viroin, Treignes, Vierves-sur-Viroin.
- From 1995 to 2004, Viroinval was the location of the geographical centre of the European Union, at coordinates in Oignies-en-Thiérache, and a monument there records that finding. On May 1, 2004 the EU expanded from fifteen states to twenty-five, and the geographical centre of the union moved eastwards to the village of Kleinmaischeid, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany. On 1 January 2007 it shifted even further south-eastwards.
- The tourist steam train line Mariembourg–Treignes has most of its stations in villages of Viroinval: Nismes, Olloy-sur-Viroin, Vierves-sur-Viroin, and Treignes. The latter village has a relevant museum.
- "Wettelijke Bevolking per gemeente op 1 januari 2018". Statbel. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
- "Viroinval" (in French). Viroinval municipality. Retrieved 2011-09-24.
- "Trois Vallées – Chemin de fer touristique" (in French). Viroinval municipality. Retrieved 2011-09-24.
- "Musée du Chemin de Fer à Vapeur des Trois Vallées" (in French). Viroinval municipality. Retrieved 2011-09-24.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Viroinval.|
- Official Website of the municipality
- The former Centre of the European Union
- Awarded "EDEN - European Destinations of Excellence" non traditional tourist destination 2009
|This Namur location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|