|Villa Angela-St.Joseph High School|
18491 Lake Shore Boulevard
|Motto||Faith. Family. Future.|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Patron saint(s)||St. Angela Merici and St. Joseph|
|Founded||1878 (Villa Angela); 1950 (St. Joseph)|
|Founder||Society of Mary (Marianists)/Ursuline Sisters|
|Superintendent||Christopher M. Knight|
|Athletic Director||Elvis Grbac|
|Hours in school day||8:00 am - 3:00 pm|
|Color(s)||Columbia Blue and Scarlet Red|
|Fight song||When the Saints Go Marching In|
|Athletics||17 Varsity sports (8 boys, 7 girls, 2 co-ed)|
|Athletics conference||North Coast League|
|Rival||Euclid High School and Cleveland Central Catholic High School|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Tuition||base tuition - $9,100|
Villa Angela-St. Joseph High School is a private Roman Catholic college-preparatory high school located in Cleveland, Ohio. The school's name is commonly abbreviated VASJ. It was formed by the 1990 merger of Villa Angela Academy (all girls) and St. Joseph High School (all boys). It is owned by the Catholic Diocese of Cleveland. The school's core values are grounded in those of the religious orders which had administered the two predecessor schools: the Society of Mary (Marianists) (Saint Joseph High School) and the Ursulines (Villa Angela Academy).
Villa Angela Academy
Villa Angela Academy was founded in the mid-1870s, as a boarding school and academy for girls, by the Ursuline Sisters of Cleveland on property they had purchased on the southern shore of Lake Erie at the mouth of Euclid Creek. The school moved into a new building in 1972. Their athletic teams were nicknamed the Skylarks (Larks) Villa Angela Academy had over 6,000 graduates.
St. Joseph High School
St. Joseph High School was opened in 1950 on the site of Boulevard Hospital, a general hospital which closed in 1937 (originally, the Cunningham Sanitarium - a facility designed to use pressurized atmosphere as an aid in the treatment of disease). Bishop Edward Francis Hoban had asked the Society of Mary (Marianists) from Dayton, Ohio to administer the school. The school's mascot was the Viking due to the school's proximity to Lake Erie. St. Joseph has over 10,000 graduates.
Villa Angela - St. Joseph High School
In 1988, the Diocese announced plans to merge these two schools into a new co-educational school that would serve the needs of the east side of Cleveland. The new school would keep both schools' names and traditions. It would be named "Villa Angela - St. Joseph High School" and be located at the St. Joseph building.
The mascot would remain the Viking.
VASJ has several academic programs including:
- College Preparatory Program
- Honors/Advanced Placement Program
- General Skills Program
- Learning disability Program
- Boys basketball - 1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 2013, 2015, 2017
- VASJ is the only Ohio high school to have won boys basketball state titles within all four OHSAA divisions.
- Girls basketball - 1999
- Boys cross country – 1965^, 1966^, 1968^, 1969^
- Football – 1989^
- Softball - 1995, 1996, 1997
- Girls volleyball - 2001, 2005
- Wrestling – 1990^
^ Championship won by St. Joseph High School before merging with Villa Angela Academy.
- Baseball (boys)
- Basketball (boys & girls)
- Bowling (co-ed)
- Cheerleading (girls)
- Cross country (boys & girls)
- Dance (co-ed)
- Football (boys)
- Golf (co-ed)
- Soccer (boys & girls)
- Softball (girls)
- Swimming (boys & girls)
- Track (boys & girls)
- Volleyball (boys & girls)
- Wrestling (boys)
Notable alumni from before the 1990 merger are identified with "SJHS" for St. Joseph High School and "VAA" for Villa Angela Academy.
- Andy Cannavino - 1977 - SJHS
- London Fletcher - 1993
- Bob Golic - 1975 - SJHS
- Mike Golic - 1981 - SJHS
- Elvis Grbac - 1988 - SJHS
- Desmond Howard - 1988 - SJHS
- Rich Moore - 1965 - SJHS
- Tom Schoen - 1964 - SJHS
- Greg Urbas - SJHS
- Jerrod Calhoun - 2000
- Kevin Edwards - 1983 - SJHS
- Clark Kellogg - 1979 - SJHS
- Stan Kimbrough - 1984 - SJHS
- David Lighty - 2006
- Tony Miller - 1991
- Eric Riley - 1988 - SJHS
- Dererk Pardon - 2015
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Archived from the original on April 29, 2009. Retrieved June 23, 2009.
- Francis, Sr. M. Michael, OSU (July 23, 1997). "URSULINE SISTERS OF CLEVELAND - The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History". The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History. A joint effort by Case Western University and the Western Reserve Historical Society. Retrieved 3 January 2013.
- "Encyclopedia of Cleveland History:CUNNINGHAM SANITARIUM". The Encyclopedia of Cleveland History. A joint effort by Case Western Reserve University and the Western Reserve Historical Society. March 27, 1998. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
- "VASJ State Championships". VASJVikings.com. October 7, 2015. Retrieved January 8, 2018.
- "Distinguished Alumni". Villa Angela St. Joseph High School. April 8, 2013. Retrieved April 8, 2013.
- Mary Jo Kilroy
- Kelly O'Donnell
- Tim Misny