Viktor Kassai in 2008
10 September 1975|
Viktor Kassai (Kassai Viktor, Hungarian pronunciation: [ˈkɒʃːɒi ˈviktor]; born 10 September 1975) is a Hungarian football referee. He participated in the 2010 FIFA World Cup and refereed the 2011 UEFA Champions League Final. He has been a full international referee for FIFA since 2003.
2010 World Cup
On 5 July, it was announced that he would be in charge for the Germany vs Spain semifinal. It was his 4th match in the World Cup. This is the highest prestige match a Hungarian referee has been in charge of since Sándor Puhl's 1994 FIFA World Cup Final.
His first appearance in the 2010 FIFA World Cup was a group stage match between Brazil and North Korea on 15 June 2010, which Brazil won 2–1. He refereed two matches in the group stage. The United States vs Ghana match finished after extra time, becoming the first match in the World Cup to happen so. It was the first time that either Ghana or the United States played in a World Cup match ending in extra time.
2011 Champions League Final
Kassai was the head of an all-Hungarian crew in the 2011 UEFA Champions League Final at Wembley Stadium in London, where he cautioned two players apiece on both the Barcelona (Daniel Alves and Victor Valdés) and Manchester United (Antonio Valencia and Michael Carrick) sides.
At the UEFA Euro 2012, Kassai officiated matches Spain vs Italy and England vs Ukraine. This was the first international tournament where two additional assistant referees were introduced on the goal-lines. During the England and Ukraine game a Ukrainian strike was hooked away by an English defender, but TV re-plays showed that the ball had crossed the line. This introduced a debate on the effectiveness of the inclusion of the two additional officials and the need for goal-line technology. FIFA president Sepp Blatter said, "goal-line technology was a necessity" following the England vs Ukraine match.
2016 FIFA Club World Cup
On 14 December 2016, Kassai became the first referee to award a penalty after viewing a video replay.
- KEMLSZ (in Hungarian)
- List of prospective 2010 FIFA World Cup referees
- "UEFA EURO 2012 referees named". UEFA. 20 December 2011. Retrieved 21 June 2012.
- Eric Willemsen, AP (20 June 2012). "Debate about goal-line technology revived after Ukraine denied Euro 2012 goal". Montreal Gazette. Retrieved 21 June 2012.
- "Sepp Blatter: Technology a 'necessity'". Fox Sports. 20 June 2012. Retrieved 21 June 2012.
- Alex Richards (2016-12-14). "Historic moment as referee Viktor Kassai awards penalty at FIFA Club World Cup after using video replay - Mirror Online". Mirror.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-04-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Viktor Kassai.|
- FIFA profile
- Kassai Viktor on WorldReferee.com
- Interview with Kassai Viktor – origo.hu (in Hungarian)
| FIFA Men's Olympic Football Tournament Final referee
| UEFA Champions League Final referee