|Song by Billy Joel|
|from the album The Stranger|
|A-side||"She's Always a Woman"|
|Recorded||A & R Recording, New York City|
|Billy Joel singles chronology|
It was played in a 1981 episode of Taxi called "Vienna Waits". Marilu Henner's character Elaine Nardo refers to the song while on vacation in Europe with Alex Reiger, played by Judd Hirsch. Due to licensing restrictions, the song has been omitted from the episode on DVD, though is intact on the Hulu versions of the episode. "Vienna" can also be found on the soundtrack of 13 Going on 30.
- In 2011, American singer Ariana Grande covered the song, initially sending the MP3 to her fans if they donated to her 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami appeal, and then later making it available to the public via her YouTube channel.
- In 2012, American Idol contestant Elise Testone performed the song on the 11th season of the show the week the contestants sang Billy Joel's songs.
- In 2012, Mac Miller covered the song under his alias Larry Fisherman.
- In 2013, Christian Borle performed it in "The Phenomenon", the 14th episode of the second season of Smash.
- In 2015, the Austrian band Granada released their version, "Wien wort auf di", sung in an Austrian dialect of German.
- In 2016, contestant Andrew DeMuro performed the song at the Blind Auditions on The Voice of the show and was made a part of Adam Levine's team.
- In 2019, Grace VanderWaal performed Vienna during her "Ur So Beautiful" tour.
- In 2019, Israeli singer Roie Labes released his version for the song in Hebrew, named "וינה".
- In 2019, actor Ben Platt performed the song in the eighth episode of the first season of The Politician. The song appeared on the soundtrack for the show as well.
In popular culture
- "Vienna" is featured in the soundtrack of the 2004 romantic comedy 13 Going on 30, starring Jennifer Garner and Mark Ruffalo.
- "Vienna" is featured in NBC's Smash season 2 episode 14 ("The Phenomenon") aired 5/4/2013 covered by Christian Borle as character Tom Levitt.
- Barry, Dan (13 July 2008). "Just the Way He Is". The New York Times.
- Granada - Wien wort auf di - YouTube
- The Voice (2016-09-20), The Voice 2016 Blind Audition - Andrew DeMuro: "Vienna", retrieved 2016-10-14
- Grace VanderWaal - Vienna - YouTube
- Roie Labes - וינה - YouTube
|This 1970s song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|