Victoria Penelope Jane Ward
1969 (age 50–51)
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge|
|Occupation||Author, investigative journalist, columnist, newspaper editor, magazine editor, commentator|
(m. 1995; div. 2010)
Victoria Penelope Jane ("Vicky") Ward (born 1969) is a New York Times bestselling author, investigative journalist, editor-at-large, and television commentator. On July 29, 2019, she was named Senior Reporter at CNN. She is a former magazine and newspaper editor. She was born in Britain, has lived in New York City since 1997, and is a naturalized U.S. citizen.
Prior to moving to the U.S., Ward was a columnist and feature writer for The Independent, a British newspaper. In New York City, she was the Features and News Features Editor of the New York Post (1999–2001) and Tina Brown’s executive editor at Talk (2000–2001). She was a contributing editor to Vanity Fair (2001–2012) as well as a columnist for the London Evening Standard (2007–2011). Her Vanity Fair articles covered a wide array of subject matter: politics, finance, art, and culture and society. Among other things, she wrote about Hewlett Packard, Morgan Stanley, Bruce Wasserstein, a failed coup in Africa, Kate Middleton, Valerie Plame, counter-terrorist czar Dick Clarke, Brooke Astor, Veronica Hearst, the Guggenheim, the Getty, Phillips de Pury Luxembourg, St Barths, Vivendi, Jeffrey Epstein, Washington interns, the Fairfield Greenwich hedge fund and Bernie Madoff.
In July 2019, Ward was named Senior Reporter at CNN. For CNN, her reporting has included pieces on the rise of the Jeffrey Epstein mystique, the scrutiny of Trump campaign manager Brad Parscale's business ties, and investigation into the ties between Donald Trump and Giuliani associates Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman, including an exclusive on Parnas's claim that he was on a 'secret mission' for Trump in Ukraine.
In July 2017, Ward was appointed editor-at-large for HuffPost and Huffington Post Highline, their long-form magazine. Recent HuffPost exclusives have included interviews with Blackwater’s Erik Prince, Trump's former lawyer Michael Cohen, and Anthony Scaramucci on the White House and why he was fired.
For The Huffington Post Highline, Ward wrote about Vice President Mike Pence’s Chief of Staff, Nick Ayers and Robert and Rebekah Mercer’s influence in the 2016 election. Charlie Rose later interviewed her on this piece.
Ward is also editor-at-large at Town & Country magazine, where she writes about culture. Her pieces have included an article on the late, seminal Russian art collector Sergei Shchukin, Frank Gehry’s first-ever sail boat design, a $2 billion fraud in the modern art world and the Knoedler art trial.
In her last role, Ward wrote investigative long-form articles for Esquire including a piece in October 2016 on Jared Kushner In December 2016, she profiled the Russian-born cyber-terrorism expert Dmitri Alperovitch.
She has contributed to, among others, the Financial Times, The New York Times, the London Times, Sunday Times, Daily Telegraph, the UK Spectator Magazine, British Vogue, US Harpers Bazaar and Porter. She has also had on-air contracts with CNBC and Bloomberg TV. She appears regularly on MSNBC's Morning Joe.
Ward is the bestselling author of three books: the New York Times bestseller The Devil’s Casino: Friendship, Betrayal and the High Stakes Games Played Inside Lehman Brothers (Wiley, 2010), The Liar’s Ball: The Extraordinary Saga of How one Building Broke the World’s Toughest Tycoons (Wiley, 2014), and the New York Times bestseller Kushner, Inc.: Greed. Ambition. Corruption. The Extraordinary Story of Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump (St. Martin's Press, 2019). The Liar’s Ball is being developed as a possible feature film by J.C. Chandor and A24 Productions.
- The Devil’s Casino: Friendship, Betrayal and the High Stakes Games Played Inside Lehman Brothers (Wiley, 2010)
- The Liar’s Ball: The Extraordinary Saga of How one Building Broke the World’s Toughest Tycoons (Wiley, 2014)
- Kushner, Inc.: Greed. Ambition. Corruption. The Extraordinary Story of Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump (St. Martin's Press, 2019)
- Benenden School, England, Academic Scholar (1983–1987)
- BA and MA in English Literature, Trinity Hall, University of Cambridge, UK (1988–1991)
She is the daughter of Simon Charles Vivian Ward and Myrtle Jillian Eileen East. She has two sisters Antonia Lisa Ward and Lucinda Fiona Ward. She has twin children, Orlando and Lorcán, born in 2003, with ex-husband Matthew Doull.
- Vicky Ward (1969-), Author, television commentator and journalist; Contributing Editor of Vanity Fair
- "Michael Cohen Speaks: Trump Exec Admits Russia Dealings Were Gross, But Not Illegal". vickyward.com. Retrieved 7 January 2019.
- "Why The Mooch Lost His Cool". vickyward.com. Retrieved 7 January 2019.
- Ward, Vicky. "Mike Pence's Man In The Swamp". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 7 January 2019.
- "The Blow-It-All-Up Billionaires". vickyward.com. Retrieved 7 January 2019.
- Vicky Ward, retrieved 7 January 2019
- "How a Russian Collector Changed the Course of Modern Art". vickyward.com. Retrieved 7 January 2019.
- "Frank Gehry's First-Ever Yacht Looks Like Nothing You've Ever Seen". vickyward.com. Retrieved 7 January 2019.
- "Inside the Trial All the Billionaires Are Watching". vickyward.com. Retrieved 7 January 2019.
- ."Jared Kushner's Second Act". vickyward.com. Retrieved 7 January 2019.
- "The Russian Expat Leading the Fight to Protect America". vickyward.com. Retrieved 7 January 2019.
- "The Devil's Casino". vickyward.com. Retrieved 7 January 2019.
- "The Liar's Ball". vickyward.com. Retrieved 7 January 2019.
- "Kushner, Inc". vickyward.com. Retrieved 8 April 2019.
- Busch, Anita; Busch, Anita (9 June 2015). "J.C. Chandor On Dance Card For A24's 'The Liar's Ball'". Deadline. Retrieved 7 January 2019.
- "An Englishman in New York". The Guardian. The Observer. 14 August 2010.
- Burke's Peerage, Baronetage and Knightage: 107th Edition volume 1, page 1360
- Ward. "The Devil's Casino" (PDF). The Devil's Casino PDF.