Vernon Township, Scioto County, Ohio
Houses on Kittle Road near Ashley Corner
Location of Vernon Township in Scioto County
|• Total||35.3 sq mi (91.5 km2)|
|• Land||35.3 sq mi (91.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||614 ft (187 m)|
|• Density||60/sq mi (23/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086938|
Located in the southeastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Bloom Township - north
- Decatur Township, Lawrence County - east
- Elizabeth Township, Lawrence County - southeast
- Green Township - southwest
- Porter Township - west
- Harrison Township - northwest corner
No municipalities are located in Vernon Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Vernon township, Scioto County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved March 30, 2012.
- "Portsmouth Area Resource Guide, 2007-2008". The Community Common. 2007-07-29. p. 6.
- Bannon, Henry Towne (1927). Stories Old and Often Told, Being Chronicles of Scioto County, Ohio. Baltimore: Waverly Press. p. 275.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 460. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.