Location within the U.S. state of Missouri
Missouri's location within the U.S.
|Founded||February 27, 1855|
|Named for||Colonel Miles Vernon, state senator, and veteran of the Battle of New Orleans|
|• Total||837 sq mi (2,170 km2)|
|• Land||826 sq mi (2,140 km2)|
|• Water||10 sq mi (30 km2) 1.2%|
|• Density||25/sq mi (9.8/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−6 (Central)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−5 (CDT)|
Vernon County is a county located in the center of the western border of Missouri. As of the 2010 census, the population was 21,159. Its county seat is Nevada. The county was organized on February 27, 1855, considerably later than counties in the eastern part of the state. It was named for Colonel Miles Vernon (1786–1867), a state senator and veteran of the Battle of New Orleans. This was part of the large historic territory of the Osage Nation of Native Americans.
The county was developed for agriculture and is still largely rural.
Vernon County suffered considerable damage during the American Civil War. Guerrillas and insurgents had waged raids against Union troops and carried out personal vendettas in the county. On May 23, 1863, Union Army soldiers burned the county seat of Nevada, along with the courthouse, in retaliation. The present courthouse was completed in 1907.
Vernon County was one of four Missouri counties that were completely depopulated by Union General Thomas Ewing's General Order No. 11 (1863), which ordered the people evacuated in order to end support for Confederate guerrillas operating in the area. Most of the residents would not be allowed to return to their homes until after the Civil War ended in May 1865.
- Bates County (north)
- St. Clair County (northeast)
- Cedar County (east)
- Barton County (south)
- Crawford County, Kansas (southwest)
- Bourbon County, Kansas (west)
- Linn County, Kansas (northwest)
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 20,454 people, 7,966 households, and 5,432 families residing in the county. The population density was 24 people per square mile (9/km2). There were 8,872 housing units at an average density of 11 per square mile (4/km2). The racial makeup of the county was 96.99% White, 0.61% Black or African American, 0.79% Native American, 0.31% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.31% from other races, and 0.95% from two or more races. Approximately 0.84% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 7,966 households, out of which 32.20% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.30% were married couples living together, 9.60% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.80% were non-families. 28.10% of all households were made up of individuals, and 13.00% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.44 and the average family size was 2.97.
In the county, the population was spread out, with 26.60% under the age of 18, 9.20% from 18 to 24, 25.40% from 25 to 44, 22.50% from 45 to 64, and 16.30% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 93.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.00 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $30,021, and the median income for a family was $37,714. Males had a median income of $28,182 versus $19,026 for females. The per capita income for the county was $15,047. About 10.10% of families and 14.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 20.30% of those under age 18 and 13.30% of those age 65 or over.
- Bronaugh R-VII School District – Bronaugh
- Bronaugh Elementary School (PK-06)
- Bronaugh High School (07-12)
- Nevada R-V School District – Nevada
- Bryan Elementary School (PK-01)
- Benton Elementary School (02)
- Truman Elementary School (03-05)
- Nevada Middle School (06-08)
- Nevada High School (09-12)
/ Northeast Vernon County R-I School District – Walker
- Northeast Vernon County Elementary School (PK-06)
- Northeast Vernon County High School (07-12)
- Sheldon R-VIII School District – Sheldon
- Sheldon Elementary School (PK-06)
- Sheldon High School (07-12)
- Nevada Seventh-day Adventist Christian School – Nevada (02-07) – Seventh-day Adventist
- St. Mary Elementary School – Nevada (PK-05) – Roman Catholic
Colleges and universities
- Nevada Public Library
This section does not cite any sources. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Republican Party predominantly controls politics at the local level in Vernon County despite historical control by the Democratic Party. Republicans hold all but three of the elected positions in the county.
|Vernon County, Missouri|
|Elected countywide officials|
|Assessor||Cherie K. Roberts||Democratic|
|Circuit Clerk||Vickie Erwin||Democratic|
|County Clerk||Mike Buehler||Republican|
|Coroner||David L. Ferry||Democratic|
|Prosecuting Attorney||Brandy McInroy||Republican|
|Public Administrator||Tammy Bond||Democratic|
|2016||66.67% 5,699||30.66% 2,621||2.67% 228|
|2012||52.26% 4,424||44.40% 3,759||3.34% 283|
|2008||46.54% 4,095||51.05% 4,491||2.41% 212|
|2004||66.76% 5,989||31.97% 2,868||1.27% 114|
|2000||52.49% 4,370||45.20% 3,763||2.30% 192|
|1996||39.90% 3,039||57.27% 4,362||2.84% 216|
|Constitution||William M. Gilmore||170||3.07%||+3.07|
|Democratic||Charlie A. Burton||2,630||31.58%|
|Libertarian||Herschel L. Young||226||4.12%||+1.01|
As Like many neighboring counties to it, Vernon County has become increasingly Republican over the past few presidential elections. The last time a democratic candidate has carried this county was in 1996 by Bill Clinton.
Missouri presidential preference primary (2008)
|Vernon County, Missouri|
|2008 Republican primary in Missouri|
|John McCain||705 (32.64%)|
|Mike Huckabee||920 (42.59%)|
|Mitt Romney||408 (18.89%)|
|Ron Paul||74 (3.43%)|
|Vernon County, Missouri|
|2008 Democratic primary in Missouri|
|Hillary Clinton||1,434 (61.55%)|
|Barack Obama||732 (31.42%)|
|John Edwards (withdrawn)||124 (5.32%)|
- Bacon Township
- Badger Township
- Blue Mound Township
- Center Township
- Clear Creek Township
- Coal Township
- Deerfield Township
- Dover Township
- Drywood Township
- Harrison Township
- Henry Township
- Lake Township
- Metz Township
- Montevallo Township
- Moundville Township
- Osage Township
- Richland Township
- Virgil Township
- Walker Township
- Washington Township
Alice Ghostley 1923-2008 Comedienne. Born in Eve, Missouri (Vernon County).
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 14, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Archived from the original on May 31, 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- History of Vernon county, Missouri. St. Louis: Brown & Co. 1887. pp. 194–196.
- "The Nevada Daily Mail". May 11, 1960. p. 8. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on April 22, 2009. Retrieved October 14, 2009.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "2010 Census Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. August 22, 2012. Archived from the original on October 21, 2013. Retrieved November 22, 2014.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved November 13, 2019.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 22, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved November 22, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 22, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 22, 2014.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Breeding, Marshall. "Nevada Public Library". Libraries.org. Retrieved May 8, 2017.
- 2014 Election
- 2012 Election
- Leip, David. "Dave Leip's Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections". uselectionatlas.org. Retrieved 2018-03-27.
- Digitized 1930 Plat Book of Vernon County from University of Missouri Division of Special Collections, Archives, and Rare Books