|Tempest in the Colosseum|
|Live album by|
|Recorded||July 23, 1977|
|Producer||Henri Renaud, David Rubinson|
Tempest in the Colosseum was recorded on July 23, 1977 in the Den-En Colosseum in Tokyo, Japan. Musicians for this performance were Herbie Hancock on keyboards, Freddie Hubbard on trumpet, Tony Williams on drums, Ron Carter on double bass, and Wayne Shorter on tenor and soprano saxophones. The album was released in late 1977 only in Japan by Columbia.
The Allmusic review by Richard S. Ginell awarded the album 4 stars stating "Tempest is a good description, for this CD contains more volatile ensemble playing than its Columbia predecessor; clearly some tighter bonding took place since the trans-Pacific flight".
- "Eye of the Hurricane" (Hancock) - 16:38
- "Diana" (Shorter) - 4:31
- "Eighty-One" (Carter) - 13:08
- "Maiden Voyage" (Hancock) - 11:55
- "Lawra" (Williams) - 8:23
- "Red Clay" (Hubbard) - 14:15
- Ron Carter – bass
- Herbie Hancock – keyboards, piano, synthesizer, vocals
- Freddie Hubbard – trumpet
- Wayne Shorter – soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone
- Tony Williams – drums
- Ginell, R. S. Allmusic Review accessed August 3, 2011.