This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Some uterotonics act as analogues of oxytocin (OXT). An oxytocinergic or oxytocic chemical pathway is one responding to oxytocin or its analogues, and an oxytocinergic or oxytocic agent is any of these agents, oxytocin or its analogues, with similar physiologic effect, chemical interaction, or (usually) both. The oxytocin receptor (OXTR) is the binding and activation site of oxytocin.
Some agents may act as indirect oxytocinergics:
- 5-HT1A Receptor (5-HT1AR): A protein responsible for inducing the secretion of oxytocin
- Serotonergic: A drug which acts upon serotonin and 5-HT1AR, resulting in oxytocin release (e.g., MDMA ("Ecstasy")
- Ergoline uterotonics include methylergonovine, ergometrine (and Syntometrine), and acetergamine
- Polypeptides include carbetocin and cargutocin
- Cloquinozine had been described as an oxytocic agent.
- Epostane is another example of a drug described as a contraceptive, oxytocic agent.
- U-69,593 inhibits the peripheral, though not central secretion of oxytocin and vasopressin in rats.
- Prostaglandin F2, prostaglandin E1, carboprost
- Fenprostalene in cattle. This compound resembles Enprostil in structure and is a long-acting analogue of PGF2α.
- Analogs of oxytocin
- Urofollitropin is an analog of oxytocin possessing higher activity
- (Thiazolidine-4-carboxylic acid)-oxytocin
- Conversely, a tocolytic acts to oppose uterine contractility. These agents may be oxytocinergic in mechanism. For example, atosiban works in this way.
- Natural food
- Parsley in large amount may have uterotonic effect
- Nagashima, Renpei; Takano, Noboru; Tamura, Masaaki; Shioya, Akitoshi (1966). "PHARMACOLOGICAL PROPERTIES OF 3-(p-CHLOROBENZYL) QUINOLIZIDINE TARTARATE (QB-1), A NEW OXYTOCIC". The Japanese Journal of Pharmacology. 16 (4): 353–367. doi:10.1254/jjp.16.353. ISSN 0021-5198.
- Elks, J.; Ganellin, C. R. (1990). Dictionary of Drugs. doi:10.1007/978-1-4757-2085-3. ISBN 978-1-4757-2087-7.
- Garcia-Villar, R.; Marnet, P.G.; Laurentie, M.P.; Toutain, P.L. (1987). "Fenprostalene in cattle: Evaluation of oxytocic effects in ovariectomized cows and abortion potential in a 100-day pregnant cow". Theriogenology. 28 (4): 467–480. doi:10.1016/0093-691X(87)90251-2. ISSN 0093-691X.
|Look up Oxytocinergic in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- New International Encyclopedia. 1905. .
|This pharmacology-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This pharmacy-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|