Need advice on CSD case
Hello! I wanted to ask you what to do if a speedy deletion is contested by the creator of the article, but the article clearly needs to be deleted per Wikipedia policies. For instance, this article - Miss Charm. I nominated it per G4 as the article was recently deleted (logs []. The creator however contested the deletion saying that the subject is notable (but it was deleted because of the notability issues). I don't want to be edit-warring, but I don't know what is the proper way of conduct here. Can you please help me on this? Thank you in advance. --Less Unless (talk) 19:16, 1 March 2020 (UTC)
- @Less Unless: Generally, creators are of course not allowed to removed tags themselves and can be warned when they do. And you can always ask any admin to review an article you tagged even when the creator keeps removing those tags. There is no rule that a tag has to be in place for speedy deletion to occur. As for the article in question, the deleted version claimed it was a pageant that will be held for the first time this year. The current article claims it was (also) a pageant in 1989 and 1990, so it's actually not eligible for G4 but you are free to AFD it again if the new version also fails notability despite the new claims. Regards SoWhy 21:23, 1 March 2020 (UTC)
- Thank you! --Less Unless (talk) 21:27, 1 March 2020 (UTC)
News and updates for administrators from the past month (February 2020).
- Following a discussion, Twinkle's default CSD behavior will soon change, most likely this week. After the change, Twinkle will default to "tagging mode" if there is no CSD tag present, and default to "deletion mode" if there is a CSD tag present. You will be able to always default to "deletion mode" (the current behavior) using your Twinkle preferences.
- Following the 2020 Steward Elections, the following editors have been appointed as stewards: BRPever, Krd, Martin Urbanec, MusikAnimal, Sakretsu, Sotiale, and Tks4Fish. There are a total of seven editors that have been appointed as stewards, the most since 2014.
- The 2020 appointees for the Ombudsman commission are Ajraddatz and Uzoma Ozurumba; they will serve for one year.
I have actually read the WP:LISTED section you reference, and it says that being listed is not on its own a criteria of notability in absence of other independent sources. I have found nothing noteworthy about this ISP in about an hour (actually, I have stumbled onto the wiki page when I was trying to find ANYTHING about them), and the article itself is only references to their own web page (and one rather narrow google search, not even any resulting page). Which I noted in my comment on talk page. Additionally, looking at the page history, all four contributors to that page are tagged as affiliated with the company itself. I think the above makes it definitely not "clearly significant", and warrants if not a deletion, then a major rehaul of the page. At the very least, sections listing their current and historic offers definitely don't belong.MreeBiPolar (talk) 16:40, 5 March 2020 (UTC)
- @MreeBiPolar: Please note that "significance" as used in speedy deletion criterion A7 is explicitly not the same as notability (as used in WP:NCORP) but a lower standard. A company that is listed in the NYSE will almost always be significant enough to warrant further research but if that's the case, it also warrants further discussion. I'm not sure where you checked but I can find scores of sources mentioning the company, e.g.      . Is that enough to establish notability? I don't know. But it's sufficient to pass the low bar of A7. If you still believe notability is lacking, feel free to take it to WP:AFD. Please note however, that per WP:IMPERFECT, neither the fact that people with a conflict of interest worked on the article nor a current lack of sources is sufficient to delete an article if the problems can be fixed by editing. Last but not least, listing products is normal for company articles, e.g. Coca-Cola#Brand portfolio or Google#Products and services. Regards SoWhy 16:54, 5 March 2020 (UTC)
Hi, Hope you doing well. This is Abha Butt from Pakistan. I want to learn How to edit Wikipedia, as a few numbers of Pakistani are editing Wikipedia and improving articles related to Wikipedia. I am a traveler and I visit different places across Pakistan, most of the time I unable to find Wikipedia pages for Villages, Towns, and cities that exist in Pakistan. I read Wikipedia:List of policies and guidelines but I am still confused with reference for places. So, I want to request you adopt me and teache me how can I contribute to Wikipedia by creating new articles and improving existing. Waiting for your response. Thanks in advance. --Abha Butt (talk) 15:57, 9 March 2020 (UTC)
- @Abhabutt: Thanks for your interest. I'm always happy to help but unfortunately, I don't think I can devote sufficient time to adopting you at this moment, which wouldn't be in your best interest (I assume). I apologize if a technical problem on the adoption list made you think otherwise. Please check Wikipedia:Adopt-a-user/Adoptee's Area/Adopters for more experienced editors who have more capacities to devote. Regards SoWhy 19:19, 10 March 2020 (UTC)
Women footballers / soccer players
There seems to be a sudden uptick in proposed deletion of articles focused on top-division women's footballers by one user in particular. Would you mind taking a look if you have time? Thank you. Hmlarson (talk) 21:17, 22 March 2020 (UTC)
- @Hmlarson: I can do so but I am not sure what you expect me to do. Nominating a couple of articles for PROD is not per se problematic since you can easily challenge them by removing the PROD. It does not appear to be disruptive (at this point) though. Regards SoWhy 07:26, 23 March 2020 (UTC)
I wish to apply for Wikipedia Library Cards for Newspapers, NewspaperARCHIVE
- I do not know how to link to accounts at commons or wmflabs.org et cetera, so I am asking here.
- I want to add accounts for commons et cetera can you help.
- I am doing biographies 1810-2020, the plaintext embedded often has jumbled columns and I need to see the photos of the news page.
- T3g5JZ50GLq (talk) 02:36, 27 March 2020 (UTC)
- @T3g5JZ50GLq: I'm not really sure what you are asking for. If you go to one of the links you posted, there should be a "Log In" button below the header. Since you have a unified login, you can use this to login to your account to authenticate yourself for the Library Platform. Once you are logged in, use the "Apply" button to request access and I can process your NewspaperArchive request. For Newspapers.com, if the coordinator is not available, requests are usually processed by the rest of the team (such as Nikkimaria). I don't have access to it though. Regards SoWhy 07:33, 27 March 2020 (UTC)
- T3g5JZ50GLq (talk) 02:36, 27 March 2020 (UTC)