A Wikipedia widow [WP:WID] is the spouse of a Wikipedian who has neglected his or her spousal duties in some significant way thus causing the spouse to feel widowed in a metaphorical sense. The Wikipedian in no way intended for this to happen but it just crept up and took over. There is a probably branch of behavioral science about to emerge to address all of this but it does not yet appear in the scientific literature. hydnjo talk 02:42, 4 September 2005 (UTC)
Some of the more obvious symptoms of this condition are:
- Staying up later than usual at night at the computer.
- A check of yesterday's history shows an inordinate amount of WP activity.
- A glazed appearance during the evening when you ask a typical question.
- An unusual number of questions on obscure subjects coming from the spouse.
- An unusual intolerance to your inability to answer obscure questions.
- Frequent references to other Wikipedians by their nicknames.
- An absurd adherence to one side or another at WP:VfD.
- Dinner preparation shifts from the Wikipedian to the widow.
- Curt responses to attempts at romantic conversation.
- Would rather watch Wikipedia IRC than watch the s.o. strip
- ... What significant other?
- Realizing you never liked them anyway.
- Familiarity with the middle names of far too many famous people.