This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Rector||Dr. José A. Molina Cotto|
|Campus||145 acres (0.59 km2), Urban|
The University of Puerto Rico in Cayey is an autonomous or independent unit of the University of Puerto Rico. It was initially founded as a regional school in 1967 and became a college in 1969. It was awarded autonomy in April 1982.
UPR Cayey offers courses in various fields (including Liberal Arts) and a wide range of academic programs in multiple disciplines.
It ranks at number thirty In the United States for students pursuing a PH.D. in Natural Sciences.
UPR-Cayey has undergraduate research programs such as Howard Hughes Project, the NIH MBRS-RISE program and the PR-AMP program. These programs provide research experience for students of the Natural Sciences, promoting student participation in scientific research. These programs provide funding and facilitate the experiences of science undergraduate students to do research either locally, at other campuses of Puerto Rico, or in Universities in the U.S.
The University houses the Environmental Education Center. The Institute for Interdisciplinary Research, supports students and teachers in colleges of neighboring municipalities in research projects. The Project for the Study of Women seeks to advance women's rights through education, research and community service. These programs are offered to students such as those taking college courses before completing their secondary education or professionals who wish to take continuing education courses.
- Students: 3,659 (Fall 2007)
- Faculty: 261; 70% Instructional Faculty
- Department of Humanities
- Department of Hispanic Studies
- Department of English
- Department of Social Sciences
- Natural Sciences Program
- Department of Biology
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Mathematics-Physics
- Department of Education
- Physical Education Program
- Department of Business Administration
- Technology and Office Administration Program
- Association of the University of Puerto Rico Alumni and Friends Abroad (UPRAA)
- Cayey.upr.edu: official University of Puerto Rico at Cayey website
- Campus Explore Stats & Essential Info
- Universia.net Comparison Page for UPR Cayey, only available in Spanish (solamente en Español)