|Motto||Knowledge for Service|
|Vice-Chancellor||Florence B. Obi|
The University of Calabar is a university situated in Calabar, Cross River State, Nigeria. It is one of Nigeria's second generation federal universities. The University of Calabar was a campus of the University of Nigeria until 1975. The architecture was designed by John Elliott. It was established by decree to fulfill this traditional mandate, its motto "Knowledge for Service".
The Vice Chancellor is Prof. Florence B. Obi. Prof. Angela oyo Ita currently holds the position of DVC (Academic), and Prof. Michal okom DVC (Administration). The Registrar is Mr. Gabriel O. Egbe, Mrs. Beatrice Igwe is the University Bursar, and Prof. Nkoyo Edem is the University Librarian. The University of Calabar was one of the foremost Nigerian Universities to automate students' registration processes through the College Portal, and has taken a step further to automate her alumni relations which includes an online transcript request and processing first of its kind in the country.
The university has the following faculties:
- Faculty of Allied Medical Sciences
- Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculties of Management Sciences
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Faculty of Arts
- Institute of Public Policy and Administration
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Biological Sciences
- Faculty of Physical Sciences
- Faculty of Engineering and Technology
- faculty of Environmental Sciences
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Agriculture, forestry and Wildlife Management
- Institute of Oceanography
- Bassey Andah Institute for African and Asian Studies
- Graduate School
- University of Calabar Consultancy Services
Objectives for establishment
(a) To encourage the advancement of knowledge of learning and to hold out to all person without distinctions of race, creed, sex or political conviction the opportunity of acquiring liberal education.
(b) To provide courses of instruction and other facilities for the pursuit of learning in all its branches, and to make those facilities available on proper terms of such persons as are equipped to benefit from them;
(c) To encourage and promote scholarship and conduct research in all fields of learning and human endeavour.
(d) To relate its activities to the social, cultural and economic needs of the people of Nigeria; and
(e) To undertake any other activities appropriate for a University of the highest standards.
Below is a list of affiliate institutions of the University of Calabar approved by the National Universities Commission (NUC).
- Nigerian Christian Bible Church
- Reformed Theological Seminary, Mkar
- Catholic Institute of West Africa, Port-Harcourt
- Essien Ukpabio Presbyterian College Itu, Akwa Ibom State
Amongst the alumni of the University of Calabar are:
- Reuben Abati, Lawyer/writer.
- Queeneth Agbor, actress
- Biko Agozino, criminologist
- Godswill Akpabio, former governor of Akwa Ibom State & Current Senate Minority Leader
- Anthony Ayine, auditor general for the Federation.
- Regina Askia-Williams actress -left before graduation
- Isabella Ayuk, MBGN 2012
- Grace Folashade Bent, politician
- Omotu Bissong, model/television presenter
- Stacey B. Day, Ntufam Ajan of Oban
- Chile Eboe-Osuji, International Jurist and Current President of the International Criminal Court, The Hague, Netherlands.
- Keppy Ekpenyong, Nigerian actor.
- Alexx Ekubo, actor/model
- Ita Enang, politician
- Nelson Enwerem, model, television personality and winner of Mr Nigeria 2018
- Eve Esin, Nigerian actress
- Aloysius Akpan Etok, politician
- Kate Henshaw, actress
- Okezie Ikpeazu, Current Governor of Abia State of Nigeria.
- Alex Mascot Ikwechegh, politician, businessman and philanthropist
- Stella Immanuel, Doctor and conspiracy theorist based in Houston, Texas.
- Iyanya, singer/songwriter/performer
- Osita Izunaso, politician
- Uche Jombo, actress
- Yahaya Kuta, Nigerian author
- Victor Ndoma-Egba, politician
- John Odey, former minister
- Stephanie Okereke, actress
- Chido Onumah, Nigerian/Canadian journalist, author and activist
- Wofai Samuel, media personality and communications executive
- Jewel Taylor, Former first Lady, Senator(2006-2018) and current Vice President of Liberia
- John James Akpan Udo-Edehe, politician
- Owens Wiwa, human rights activist
- Chukwuemeka Ngozichineke Wogu, minister
- Awade friday Kamie, Comedian
Eskor Toyo, professor of economics and Marxist scholar