This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Universitat Pompeu Fabra
|592 professors (full time equivalent) and 670 administration staff|
|Students||Around 10,000 undergraduate and 4,000 postgraduate students|
Plaça de la Mercè, 10-12, 08002 Barcelona,
|Affiliations||A4U, Yerun, EUTOPIA, ACUP, Vives network|
Pompeu Fabra University (Catalan: Universitat Pompeu Fabra, pronounced [uniβəɾsiˈtat pumˈpɛw ˈfaβɾə]; UPF) is a public university in Barcelona, Catalonia. It was created by the Autonomous Government of Catalonia in 1990, and was named after the linguist Pompeu Fabra, an expert on the Catalan language.
It was designated as an “International Excellence Campus” by the Spanish Ministry of Education in 2010.
The university's Faculty of Economics and Business Sciences is the first and only faculty in Spain (public or private and for any discipline) to be awarded the Certificate for Quality in Internationalization granted by a consortium of 14 European accreditation agencies.
The university offers its studies around three areas of knowledge, each one developed in a different campus:
- the social sciences and humanities (Ciutadella campus)
- the health and life sciences (Mar campus)
- the ICT and communication sciences (Poblenou campus)
Specifically, teaching is organized in seven colleges and one engineering school:
- Health and Life Sciences
- Economics and Business
- Political and Social Science
- Translation and Language Sciences
- Engineering School
Higher education affiliated centers
Finally, the University also has five higher education affiliated centers:
- UPF Barcelona School of Management
- International Trade Business School -ESCI-
- Elisava School of Design
- Mar University School of Nursing -ESIM-
The University model is primarily based on a policy of being an institution that is open to the world, incorporating prominent national and international researchers. This commitment is reflected in excellent indicators in research, such as the volume of funds coming from Europe or indicators of scientific production.
Research is organized in eight departments:
- Economics and Business
- Political and Social Science
- Experimental Sciences and Health
- Translation & Language Sciences
Moreover, in order to promote research and transfer activities undertaken by university researchers and provide them with greater international visibility, the University is developing the UPF Research Park in the fields of social sciences, humanities, communication and information technologies. The UPF Research Park, which develops its activity at Ciutadella and Poblenou campuses, coordinates its activities in the fields of health and life sciences with the Barcelona Biomedical Research Park (PRBB), located at Mar campus.
University institutes and research centres
- Institut Barcelona d'Estudis Internacionals (IBEI)(interuniversity research institute)
- Hospital del Mar Medical Research Institute (IMIM) (attached research university institute)
- Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) (attached research university institute)
- Barcelona Graduate School of Economics (Barcelona GSE) (attached research university institute)
- Barcelona Institute for Global Health (ISGlobal) (attached research university institute)
- Institute of Evolutionary Biology (IBE)(joint research institute)
- Research Centre for International Economics (CREI) (participated research centre)
- Institute for Political Economy and Governance (IPEG) (participated research centre)
- BarcelonaBeta Brain Research Center (participated research centre)
- Phonos Foundation (associated research centre)
Research Centre for International Economics
The Research Centre for International Economics (CREI) is a research institute sponsored by the government of Catalonia (Generalitat de Catalunya) and the UPF led by the economist Jordi Galí. Its headquarters is on the campus of UPF in Barcelona, near the Department of Economics and Business at UPF (Ciutadella Campus), which collaborates in many research and teaching fields.
The research activities are focused on international economics and macroeconomics (including growth, business cycles, monetary economics, macroeconometrics, trade and international finance, economic geography, etc.). It tries to emphasize these fields of studies in the European dimension.
Enric Argullol served as rector from the founding until June 2001, followed by M. Rosa Virós i Galtier (2001-2005) and Josep Joan Moreso (2005-2013). The current rector, Jaume Casals, was reelected for a second term in April 2017.
The UPF is located in three separate campuses, each associated to its own area of knowledge:
- Social Sciences and Humanities (Ciutadella Campus)
- ITC and communication sciences (Poblenou Campus)
- Health and Life Sciences (Mar Campus)
The position of UPF is presented in the following international rankings: Times Higher Education (THE), Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), the one published by Shanghai University (ARWU), U-Multirank (promoted by the EU), and the Leiden ranking, which is focused on research. More information on rankings (global position and results by subjects) can be found at UPF website.
|THE 2019 "General"||1||58||135|
|THE 2019 "150 Under 50"||1||6||11|
|QS 2020 "General"||6||120||285|
|QS 2020 "50 Under 50"||1||11||32|
|ARWU 2018||top 3||n/c||top 250|
|U-Multirank 2019 (EU ranking)||2||23||n/c|
|Leiden 2019 "% of Top 1% publications"||1||43||95|
|Leiden 2019 "% of interinstitutional collaborative publications"||1||16||19|
|Leiden 2019 "% of international collaborative publications"||2||38||53|
|The 2019 Shanghai rankings excluded the UPF from the top 300 places in the world. It was ranked seventh in Spain.