The Stars and Stripes
|Confederation||CONCACAF (North America)|
| Jamaica 1–1 United States |
(Guatemala City, Guatemala; April 2, 1964)
| United States 13–0 U.S. Virgin Islands |
(Bradenton, United States; November 3, 2018)
| Mexico 7–1 United States |
(Bayamon, Puerto Rico; September 30, 1976)
|FIFA U-20 World Cup|
|Appearances||16 (first in 1981)|
|Best result||Fourth Place 1989|
|CONCACAF Under-20 Championship|
|Appearances||23 (first in 1964)|
|Best result||Winner : 2017, 2018|
The United States under-20 men's national soccer team is controlled by the United States Soccer Federation. The highest level of competition in which the team competes is the FIFA U-20 World Cup, which is held every two years.
The United States' best finish came in the 1989 FIFA World Youth Championship when the U.S. beat Iraq in the quarterfinal before losing to Nigeria in overtime in the semifinal and Brazil in the third-place match. Steve Snow tied for second in the tournament with three goals.
The U.S. reached the quarterfinals in 1993 but lost to Brazil. After missing out in 1995, the U.S. began a run of six consecutive qualifications in 1997, reaching the second round in five consecutive tournaments. Of those tournaments, the best U.S. performance came in 2003, when the U.S. reached the quarterfinal and led Argentina 1–0 in the final minutes before falling 2–1 in extra time. The U.S. also reached the quarterfinal of the 2007 Cup before losing 2–1 in extra time to Austria.
Major tournament results
CONCACAF U-20 Championship record
- 1976: Third place. Won preliminary round Group 2. Finished 2nd in 2nd round Group A. Lost to Honduras in semifinal. Beat Guatemala for third place.
- 1978: Second round. Won 1st round Group B. Finished 4th in 2nd round Group A.
- 1980: Second place. Won 1st round New Jersey Group. Beat Bermuda in quarterfinal. Beat Honduras on penalties in semifinal. Lost to Mexico in final.
- 1982: Second place. Won 1st round Group A. Won 2nd round Group A. Beat Guatemala in semifinal. Lost to Honduras in final. Qualified when Honduras was disqualified.
- 1984: Fourth place. Finished 2nd in 1st round Group 2. Finished 2nd in 2nd round Group A. Lost to Mexico in semifinal. Lost to El Salvador for third place.
- 1986: Second place. Won Group B. Finished 2nd in final group.
- 1988: Third place. Finished 2nd in Group 1. Finished third in final group. Qualified when Mexico was disqualified.
- 1990: Third place. Won Group 3. Finished third in final group.
- 1992: Second place. Won Group C. Finished second in final group.
- 1994: First round. Finished second in Group C.
- 1996: Third place. Won Group 2. Finished third in final round.
- 1998:† Qualified. Won Group B.
- 2001:† Qualified. Finished 2nd in Group 1.
- 2003:† Qualified. Finished 2nd in Group B.
- 2005:† Qualified. Won Group A.
- 2007:† Qualified. Won Group A.
- 2009: Runner-up and qualified to the 2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup. Finished first in Group 1, ahead of Honduras, Jamaica, and El Salvador. They defeated Trinidad and Tobago in a penalty shootout, 4–3, after a scoreless, 120-minute, regulation draw in the semifinals. In the finals the U.S. team lost by a score of 3–0 to Costa Rica.
- 2011: Quarterfinal. Did not qualify for World Cup.
- 2013: Runner-up and qualified to the 2013 FIFA U-20 World Cup. Won Group A. In the finals the U.S. team lost by a score of 3–1 to Mexico in extra time.
- 2015: Tied for third and qualified to the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup. Finished second in Group A. Defeated El Salvador 2–0 in the playoff stage.
- 2017: Champion and qualified to the 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup. Finished second in Group B. Won Classification Stage Group D. They defeated Honduras in a penalty shootout, 5–3, after a scoreless, 90-minute, regulation draw in the finals.
- 2018: Champion and qualified to the 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup. Finished first in Group A. Won Classification Stage Group G. They defeated Mexico 2–0 in the finals.
† The tournament was played with a two-group, qualification format from 1998–2007. There was no championship round.
FIFA U-20 World Cup record
|FIFA U-20 World Cup record|
|1977||Did Not Qualify|
|1985||Did Not Qualify|
|1991||Did Not Qualify|
|1995||Did Not Qualify|
|1997||Round of 16||15th||4||1||0||3||2||6|
|1999||Round of 16||11th||4||2||0||2||7||7|
|2001||Round of 16||13th||4||1||1||2||5||5|
|2005||Round of 16||11th||4||2||1||1||4||4|
|2011||Did Not Qualify|
|2021||To be determined|
- FIFA U-20 World Cup
- Fourth Place (1): 1989
- CONCACAF U-20 Championship
Recent results and fixtures
The following are results from the last 12 months, as well as any fixtures that have been scheduled.
This list may be incomplete.
|November 21 CONCACAF Champ. Final||United States��||2–0||Mexico||Bradenton, Florida|
|19:00||Méndez 17', 50'||Stadium: IMG Academy|
Referee: Iván Barton Cisneros (El Salvador)
|24 May 2019 2019 U-20 World Cup Group D||Ukraine||2–1||United States||Bielsko-Biała Stadium, Bielsko-Biała|
Referee: Maguette N'Diaye (Senegal)
|27 May 2019 2019 U-20 World Cup Group D||United States||2–0||Nigeria||Bielsko-Biała Stadium, Bielsko-Biała|
Referee: Benoît Bastien (France)
|30 May 2019 2019 U-20 World Cup Group D||United States||1–0||Qatar||Tychy Stadium, Tychy|
Referee: Abdelkader Zitouni (Tahiti)
|4 June 2019 2019 U-20 World Cup Round of 16||France||2–3||United States||Bydgoszcz Stadium, Bydgoszcz|
Referee: Raphael Claus (Brazil)
|8 June 2019 2019 U-20 Quarterfinals||United States||1–2||Ecuador||Gdynia Stadium, Gdynia|
Referee: Benoît Bastien (France)
The following players have been called up in the last 12 months.
This list may be incomplete, and caps and goals may be incorrect.
This section does not cite any sources. (October 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|3||Scott E. Kennedy||1992–1993||13|
- "Goal.com – World Cup 2010 Preview: USA – Algeria". Retrieved June 22, 2010.
- "Newsweek". Retrieved June 22, 2010.
- "Match report – Group D – Ukraine v USA" (PDF). FIFA.com. Fédération Internationale de Football Association. May 24, 2019. Retrieved May 24, 2019.
- "Match report – Group D – USA v Nigeria" (PDF). FIFA.com. Fédération Internationale de Football Association. May 27, 2019. Retrieved May 27, 2019.
- USA KICKS OFF NEW U-20 MNT CYCLE WITH TWO MATCHES IN SLOVENIA; USSoccer.com, 30 August 2019