The Global AIDS Coordinator at the United States Department of State is the official responsible for overseeing U.S.-sponsored humanitarian aid programs to combat the AIDS epidemic around the world. The Global AIDS Coordinator has the rank of ambassador-at-large and Assistant Secretary.
The current Global AIDS Coordinator is Ambassador Deborah L. Birx.
The mission of the Office of the U.S. Global AIDS Coordinator (OGAC) is to lead the implementation of the U.S. President's Emergency Plan For AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), the largest commitment ever by any nation for an international health initiative dedicated to a single disease. Initiated in 2003, PEPFAR has been reauthorized three times. What began as an emergency response has since developed into one of the largest international health initiatives. PEPFAR has supported countries in the development of national health and information systems to support the fight of HIV/AIDS and other diseases, and is collaborating with countries around the world to work towards epidemic control.
List of Global AIDS Coordinators
- Randall L. Tobias (October 6, 2003 – 2006)
- Mark R. Dybul (2006-2008; acting March to August 2006)
- Eric Goosby (June 23, 2009 to November 2013)
- Deborah L. Birx (April 4, 2014 to present)
- "Assistant Secretaries and Equivalent Rank". January 20, 2009. Retrieved November 15, 2015.
- "Department Organization Chart". March 2014. Retrieved November 15, 2015.
- "PEPFAR: Accelerating Progress Toward HIV/AIDS Epidemic Control". www.pepfar.gov. Retrieved February 19, 2019.
- An Interview with Randall L. Tobias—Spearheading the U.S. Response to Global AIDS
- Remarks at the Swearing-in Ceremony of the Honorable Mark Dybul as U.S. Global AIDS Coordinator
- Ambassador Mark R. Dybul, United States Global AIDS Coordinator
- Q and A with Ambassador Mark R. Dybul, MD
- Ambassador Eric Goosby, U.S. Global AIDS Coordinator
- Dr. Deborah Birx Sworn-In as New U.S. Global AIDS Coordinator
|This United States government–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|