USS California underway
|Namesake:||State of California|
|Awarded:||14 August 2003|
|Builder:||Huntington Ingalls Industries - Newport News Shipbuilding|
|Laid down:||1 May 2009|
|Sponsored by:||Mrs. Donna Willard|
|Christened:||6 November 2010|
|Launched:||14 November 2010|
|Commissioned:||29 October 2011|
|Status:||Ship in active service|
|Class and type:||Virginia-class submarine|
|Length:||114.9 m (377.0 ft)|
|Beam:||10.3 m (33.8 ft)|
|Speed:||greater than 25 knots (46 km/h)|
|Range:||Essentially unlimited distance; 33 years|
|Test depth:||greater than 800 ft (240 m)|
|Complement:||134 officers and crew|
USS California (SSN-781), is the eighth Virginia-class submarine, and the seventh United States Navy ship named for the state of California. The contract to build her was awarded to Newport News Shipbuilding (then called Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co.) in Newport News, Virginia, on 14 August 2003. Construction began in December 2006. California's keel was laid down on 1 May 2009. She was christened on 6 November 2010, sponsored by Donna Willard, wife of Admiral Robert F. Willard. She was launched eight days later, on 14 November 2010.
California is the first Virginia-class submarine built with the advanced electromagnetic signature reduction system; although it will be retrofitted into older submarines of the class.
California was delivered to the Navy on 7 August 2011, eight and a half months ahead of schedule.
- US Navy homeport
- "PCU California (SSN 781)". Naval Submarine Forces. Retrieved 8 November 2010.
- "Newest Virginia-Class Submarine Christened as Navy Launches Education Event in California". Northrop Grumman and Submarine Group 2 Public Affairs. 6 November 2010. Retrieved 8 November 2010.
- "Photo Release -- Northrop Grumman Launches Eighth Virginia-Class Submarine, California (SSN 781)" (Press release). Northrop Grumman News. 14 November 2010. Retrieved 16 November 2010.
- GAO-09-326SP Assessments of Major Weapon Programs, page 146
- "Submarine California Delivered More Than Eight and a Half Months Ahead of Schedule" (Press release). Huntington Ingalls Industries, Inc. 8 August 2011. Retrieved 30 October 2011.
- Vergakis, Brock (29 October 2011). "Navy commissions nuclear submarine USS California". Associated Press (AP). Retrieved 30 October 2011.
- This article includes information collected from the Naval Vessel Register, which, as a U.S. government publication, is in the public domain. The entry can be found here.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to USS California (SSN-781).|
- Mohl, Michael (2010). "California (SSN-781)". Submarine Photo Archive. NavSource Naval History. Retrieved 8 November 2010.
- "California (SSN 781) Christening". Northrop Grumman. Retrieved 8 November 2010.
- "California (SNN 781) Commissioning". US Navy. Retrieved 4 April 2011.
|This article about a specific naval submarine of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|