|UFC Live: Jones vs. Matyushenko|
The poster for UFC Live: Jones vs. Matyushenko.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||August 1, 2010|
|Venue||Valley View Casino Center|
|City||San Diego, California|
UFC Live: Jones vs. Matyushenko (also known as UFC on Versus 2) was a mixed martial arts event held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship on Sunday, August 1, 2010 at the Valley View Casino Center in San Diego, California.
The event was initially scheduled to take place at the EnergySolutions Arena in Salt Lake City, Utah. On June 14, 2010, the promotion decided to move the event to a different venue and location due to low ticket sales. The event was the second UFC event to be broadcast on Versus; the first being UFC Live: Vera vs. Jones.
Damarques Johnson originally weighed in at 172.5 pounds, 1.5 pounds over the contracted weight limit. After being granted one hour to make the original 171 pound limit, Johnson tipped the scales at 172 pounds. As a result, Johnson forfeited 20% of his purse for the fight.
|Light Heavyweight||Jon Jones||def.||Vladimir Matyushenko||TKO (elbows)||1||1:52|
|Middleweight||Yushin Okami||def.||Mark Muñoz||Decision (split) (29–28, 28–29, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Jake Ellenberger||def.||John Howard||TKO (doctor stoppage)||3||2:21|
|Lightweight||Takanori Gomi||def.||Tyson Griffin||KO (punch)||1||1:04|
|Lightweight||Jacob Volkmann||def.||Paul Kelly||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Catchweight (172 lbs)||Matthew Riddle||def.||DaMarques Johnson||TKO (punches)||2||4:29|
|Light Heavyweight||Igor Pokrajac||def.||James Irvin||Submission (rear-naked choke)||1||2:29|
|Middleweight||Brian Stann||def.||Mike Massenzio||Submission (triangle choke)||3||3:10|
|Lightweight||Charles Oliveira||def.||Darren Elkins||Submission (armbar)||1||0:41||[a]|
|Middleweight||Rob Kimmons||def.||Steve Steinbeiss||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
- This bout aired on the broadcast following the Ellenberger vs Howard bout.
Fighters were awarded $40,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Brian Stann vs. Mike Massenzio
- Knockout of the Night: Takanori Gomi
- Submission of the Night: Charles Oliveira
The following is the reported payout to the fighters as reported to the California State Athletic Commission. It does not include sponsor money or "locker room" bonuses often given by the UFC and also do not include the UFC's traditional "fight night" bonuses.
- Jon Jones $46,000 ($23,000 win bonus) def. Vladimir Matyushenko $31,000
- Yushin Okami $46,000 ($23,000 win bonus) def. Mark Muñoz $22,000
- Jake Ellenberger $24,000 ($12,000 win bonus) def. John Howard $15,000
- Takanori Gomi $80,000 ($40,000 win bonus) def. Tyson Griffin $30,000
- Jacob Volkmann $20,000 ($10,000 win bonus) def. Paul Kelly $17,000
- Matt Riddle $24,000 ($12,000 win bonus) def. DaMarques Johnson $10,000 ^
- Igor Pokrajac $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus) def. James Irvin $20,000
- Brian Stann $34,000 ($17,000 win bonus) def. Mike Massenzio $5,000
- Charles Oliveira $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus) def. Darren Elkins $8,000
- Rob Kimmons $18,000 ($9,000 win bonus) def. Steve Steinbeiss $6,000
^ DaMarques Johnson was reportedly fined 20 percent of his purse for failing to make the 170-pound welterweight limit. The CSAC's initial report did not include information on the penalty.
- "UFC on Versus 2 draws reported attendance of 8,132 for $490K gate". mmajunkie.com. 2010-08-02. Archived from the original on 2012-10-16.
- "UFC Live: Jones VS. Matyushenko". uk.ufc.com. 2010-05-24. Archived from the original on 2010-05-28.
- Scott Haber (2010-04-20). "August features UFC on Versus 2 in Utah". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2019-02-27.
- Brett Okamoto (2010-06-14). "UFC moves event from Salt Lake City to San Diego for lack of ticket sales". lasvegassun.com. Retrieved 2016-06-09.
- "Jim Miller vs. Gleison Tibau set for UFC Fight Night 22 main card". mmajunkie.com. 2010-07-12.
- "Paul Kelly vs. Jacob Volkmann moved from UFC 116 to UFC on Versus 2". MMAjunkie.com. 2010-06-02. Archived from the original on 2010-08-04. Retrieved 2010-08-02.
- Morgan, John (2010-06-05). "Gunderson vs. Holst official for TUF 11 Finale, Elkins vs. Oliveira to UFC on Versus 2". MMAjunkie.com. Archived from the original on 2012-10-15. Retrieved 2010-08-02.
- "Griffin in, Stevenson out against Gomi on August 1st in San Diego". Ufc.com. Archived from the original on 2010-07-02. Retrieved 2010-08-02.
- "Injury forces Willamy Freire off UFC on Versus 2; Thiago Tavares without opponent". mmajunkie.com. July 20, 2010. Archived from the original on July 10, 2012. .
- "With no opponent available, Thiago Tavares pulled from UFC on Versus 2 fight card". mmajunkie.com. July 23, 2010. Archived from the original on July 25, 2010.
- "Twitter / Greg Savage: Just heard "Big" John McCarthy". Twitter.com. Retrieved 2010-08-02.
- "UFC on Versus 2 live weigh-in results". mmajunkie.com. August 1, 2010. Archived from the original on August 2, 2010.
- "UFC on Versus 2: Fighter bonuses; Gomi, Oliveira, Stann and Massenget 40k awards". mmajunkie.com. August 1, 2010. Archived from the original on October 16, 2012.
- "UFC on Versus 2 fighter salaries: Takanori Gomi earns event-high $80K payday". mmajunkie.com. August 5, 2010.