|UFC 14: Showdown|
The poster for UFC 14: Showdown.
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship|
|Date||July 27, 1997|
UFC 14: Showdown was a mixed martial arts event held by the Ultimate Fighting Championship on July 27, 1997 in Birmingham, Alabama. The event was seen live on pay-per-view in the United States, and later released on home video.
UFC 14 featured two separate tournaments: a heavyweight tournament for fighters 200 lb or more, and a middleweight (formerly lightweight) tournament for fighters under 200 lb. The event also featured a Heavyweight Championship "Superfight" between Mark Coleman and Maurice Smith, as well as two alternate bouts in case of tournament injury.
Showdown was the first UFC event to require all fighters to wear padded gloves, weighing between four and six ounces. Up until then, it was the fighter's option - Melton Bowen was the first UFC fighter to choose to wear UFC gloves, back in UFC 4. It was also the first UFC appearance of World champion kickboxer Maurice Smith and champion collegiate wrestler Mark Kerr, who was encouraged to try mixed martial arts competition by his friend and training partner, Mark Coleman.
|Heavyweight||Maurice Smith||def.||Mark Coleman (c)||Unanimous decision||21:00||[a]|
|Middleweight||Kevin Jackson||def.||Tony Fryklund||Submission (rear-naked choke)||0:44||[b]|
|Middleweight||Joe Moreira||def.||Yuri Vaulin||Unanimous decision||15:00||[c]|
|Middleweight||Kevin Jackson||def.||Todd Butler||Submission (punches)||1:27|
|Middleweight Alternate bout|
|Middleweight||Tony Fryklund||def.||Donnie Chappell||Submission (choke)||1:31||[d]|
|Heavyweight||Mark Kerr||def.||Dan Bobish||Submission (chin to the eye)||1:38|
|Heavyweight||Mark Kerr||def.||Moti Horenstein||TKO (punches)||2:22|
|Heavyweight||Dan Bobish||def.||Brian Johnston||Submission (forearm choke)||2:10|
|Heavyweight Alternate bout|
|Heavyweight||Alex Hunter||def.||Sam Fulton||TKO (punches)||2:22|
- Smith defeated Coleman to become the new UFC Heavyweight Champion.
- Fryklund replaced Moreira, who was not medically permitted to continue.
- Moreira was not allowed to continue in the tournament, due to failing his post-fight medical exam (concussion).
- After the stoppage, Fyrklund hit Chappell with a late blow and stepped on him while walking away, prompting a severe reprimand by both cageside referees. Fryklund later apologized for his behavior.
UFC 14 Middleweight tournament bracket
UFC 14 Heavyweight Tournament Bracket
- Montgomery, Cliff. "The UFC - 1996 Through 2000". ExtremeProSports.com. Retrieved 4 September 2018.