|Tule Springs Fossil Beds National Monument|
A part of the fossil beds with Gass Peak in the background
|Nearest city||Las Vegas, Nevada|
|Area||22,650 acres (9,170 ha)|
|Governing body||National Park Service|
|Website||Tule Springs Fossil Beds National Monument|
Tule Springs Fossil Beds National Monument, a United States National Monument near Las Vegas, Clark County, Nevada, was established in 2014 to protect Ice Age paleontological discoveries. The 22,650-acre (9,170 ha) monument is administered by the National Park Service.
The national monument is located in the Upper Las Vegas Wash and protects part of the Tule Springs. The wash area also includes several patches of the rare Las Vegas bear poppy. The land was designated after a local campaign to permanently protect the landscape as a national monument.
The Tule Springs Fossil Beds passed both houses of Congress in December 2014 and signed into law by President Barack Obama on December 19, 2014 under Section 3092(a) of the National Defense Authorization Act for 2015.
- Brean, Henry (December 19, 2014). Obama signs Tule Springs monument into law Las Vegas Review-Journal
- "Tule Springs Story". Tule Springs Ice Age Park. Retrieved 2008-09-28.
- Rogers, Keith; Choate, Alan (November 15, 2008). "Wash area conservation urged". Las Vegas Review-Journal. Retrieved March 1, 2011.CS1 maint: uses authors parameter (link)
- "Official Website". Protectors of Tule Springs.
- Knapp, George (November 15, 2007). "I-Team Investigation: Mammoth Mistake in Northeast Las Vegas". KLAS-TV. Retrieved March 1, 2011.
- A History of Discovery in this Fossil-Rich Area, Protectors of Tule Springs, 2014
- Brean, Henry (April 10, 2015). "Things are picking up at new national monument". Las Vegas Review-Journal.
- Tetreault, Steve (December 2, 2014). "Deal clears way for Tule Springs Fossil Bed National Monument". Las Vegas Review-Journal. Retrieved 15 August 2016.
- Brean, Henry (December 19, 2014). "Obama signs Tule Springs monument into law". Las Vegas Review-Journal. Retrieved 15 August 2016.
- Tule Springs Fossil Beds National Monument
- Photo gallery from the Monument, free Creative Commons photos.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tule Springs Fossil Beds National Monument.|