This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"Tonight You Belong to Me"|
|Single by Irving Kaufman|
|Songwriter(s)||Billy Rose, Lee David|
"Tonight You Belong to Me" is an American popular song, written in 1926 by lyricist Billy Rose and composer Lee David. The first ever recording was made by Irving Kaufman in 1926 on Banner Records. In 1927 Gene Austin recorded it and the song became a major hit. Another popular recording during this time was by Roger Wolfe Kahn and his Orchestra.
The song was revived by Frankie Laine in 1952, and recorded again in 1956 by Patience and Prudence, whose version reached #4 on the Billboard charts; they recorded it again in 1964. It was also recorded in 1956 by Lawrence Welk with The Lennon Sisters, and by the duo of Karen Chandler and Jimmy Wakely. In 1964 "Tonight You Belong to Me" was recorded by George Maharis in a sweet swing style on the Epic label.
In 1977, "Tonight You Belong to Me" was recorded by American country music artist Dottie West. It was released as a single, peaking at number 30 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles chart in August 1977. The song was then issued on West's 1977 studio album When It's Just You and Me.
The version sung by Patience and Prudence is currently[when?] used by eBay as a commercial theme. It was featured in a 2012 TV commercial for Scandinavian Airlines. This version was also featured in the ending credits of the 2004 film Birth.
In 2011, the Patience and Prudence rendition was featured in four episodes of American Horror Story. The first was in the Pilot episode, as the twins, Troy and Byron, begin trashing the house with baseball bats. The second was during the season finale, "Afterbirth", as the new homeowners run screaming from the home. It was later featured in the series’ eighth-season premiere, “The End as well as the sixth episode "Return to Murder House".”
The Bird and the Bee released their rendition of the track on their digital EP One Too Many Hearts.
American singer Fiona Apple included a live version of the song, listed as "You Belong to Me" and performed with longtime collaborator Jon Brion on the DVD-section of the deluxe version of her 2005 album "Extraordinary Machine".
The song was featured in a 2009 TV commercial for U.S. Cellular.
In 2019, the song was covered by American singer-songwriter Christina Perri on her album "Songs For Carmella: lullabies and sing-a-longs." The track featured harmonies by her husband, Paul Costabile, and a vocal cameo by her daughter Carmella.
- Don Tyler. Hit Songs 1900-1955: American Popular Music of the Pre-Rock Era. Amazon.com. ISBN 9780786429462.
- Patience and Prudence: A Sister Act Remembered
- "Dottie West Chart History: Country Songs". Billboard. Retrieved 7 August 2019.
- "Boston Legal (2004–2008)". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2016-10-13.
- "Lovers, Lead the Way!/The Heat Can Melt Your Brain - Viva Voce | Songs, Reviews, Credits". AllMusic. 2007-10-09. Retrieved 2016-10-13.
- Video on YouTube
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-08-29. Retrieved 2013-08-31.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Walden, Davis (April 21, 2015). "'Bates Motel' S3E7: The Last Supper". SideReel. All Media Network. Retrieved April 21, 2015.