|Died||April 2, 2015 (aged 65)|
Pinellas, Florida, U.S.
|Known for||Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer|
Night of the Living Dead
House of 1000 Corpses
|Service/||United States Marine Corps|
Tom Towles (March 20, 1950 – April 2, 2015) was an American character actor of film, theatre, and television, known for his portraying villains and intimidating supporting characters. His breakthrough role as Otis in Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986) earned him an Independent Spirit Award nomination for Best Supporting Male. He appeared in numerous films and television series including Night of the Living Dead, Blood In Blood Out, The Rock, NYPD Blue, Dr. Dolittle, The Devil's Rejects, Miami Vice, and Malcolm in the Middle.
In 1971, Towles began his acting career in Chicago where he performed as a member of the Organic Theater Company. He made his film debut portraying a minor role as a cop in Dog Day Afternoon (1975). Afterwards, Towles returned to Chicago to continue performing with the Organic Theater Company, as well as performing at the Goodman Theatre. After a decade-long hiatus, Towles returned to the screen in the film Pink Nights (1985).
|1975||Dog Day Afternoon||Cop||Uncredited|
|1986||Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer||Otis||Nominated- Independent Spirit Award for Best Supporting Male|
|1989||The Borrower||Bob Laney||Nominated- Fangoria Chainsaw Award for Best Supporting Actor|
|1990||Men Don't Leave||Evan Taylor|
|Night of the Living Dead||Harry Cooper|
|1991||The Pit and the Pendulum||Don Carlos Molina|
|1993||Blood In Blood Out||Red Ryder|
|Mad Dog and Glory||Andrew the Beater|
|1996||God's Lonely Man||Steven|
|Normal Life||Frank Anderson|
|1996||The Rock||Alcatraz Park Ranger|
|Warriors of Virtue||Grillo|
|Night of the Lawyers||Moriarty|
|1998||The Prophecy II||Det. Waltrip|
|Dr. Dolittle||German Shepherd||Voice|
|2000||More Dogs Than Bones||Det. Waltrip|
|2003||House of 1000 Corpses||Deputy George Wydell|
|2005||The Devil's Rejects|
|2007||Grindhouse||Lt. Boorman||(segment "Werewolf Women of the SS")|
|Home Sick||Uncle Johnny|
|2008||Blood on the Highway||Louis Debois||(final film role)|
|1987||Jack and Mike||Maxie||Episode: "Charity Ball"|
|High Mountain Rangers||T.J. Cousins||Episode: "Pilot"|
|1992||Mann & Machine||Lomax||Episode: "Mann's Fate"|
|1993||Star Trek: Deep Space Nine||Hon'Tihl||Episode: "Dramatis Personae"|
|Seinfeld||Tough Guy||Episode: "The Glasses"|
|1993-94||NYPD Blue||Inspector Anthony Lastarza||Recurring role; Season 1|
|Bakersfield P.D.||Riley||2 episodes|
|1994||L.A. Law||Warden Geoff Ropella||Episode: "Three on a Patch"|
|Girls in Prison||Norman Stoneface||Television film|
|1995||VR.5||Shepard||Episode: "Dr. Strangechild"|
|1996||Pacific Blue||Mr. Baron||Episode: "Rapscallions"|
|ER||Matthew||Episode: "No Brain, No Gain"|
|3rd Rock from the Sun||Dale||Episode: "Gobble, Gobble, Dick, Dick"|
|Night Stand with Dick Dietrick||Mad Cow||Episode: "Uniting Love Ones"|
|1997||Profiler||Steve Calagian||Episode: "Learning From the Masters"|
|Star Trek: Voyager||Dr. Vatm||Episode: "Rise"|
|1998||Mercenary II: Thick & Thin||Colonel Chamaro||Television film|
|Maximum Bob||Ike Worth||Episode: "Once Bitten..."|
|The Pretender||Jack Brevins||Episode: "Parole"|
|The Drew Carey Show||Det. Streible||Episode: "Drew Tries to Kill Mimi"|
|2001||18 Wheels of Justice||Ray Palmeri||Episode: "The Interrogation"|
|2002||Firefly||Lund||Episode: "The Train Job"|
|Push, Nevada||BRB||Recurring role; Season 1|
|Robbery Homicide Division||Kevin Molas||Episode: "Wild Ride"|
|2003||Crossing Jordan||Bill Williamson||Episode: "Wild Card"|
|CSI: Crime Scene Investigation||Zeke||Episode: "Homebodies"|
|Malcolm in the Middle||Ethan||Episode: "Christmas Trees"|
- "Tom Towles biography". The New York Times.
- Oldenburg, Ann (6 April 2015). "Character actor Tom Towles dies at 65". USA Today. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
The Chicago-born Towles...
- Macatee, Rebecca (6 April 2015). "Character Actor Tom Towles Dead at 71; Rob Zombie Remembers Indie-Horror Regular as "Such a Great Guy"". E! News. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
...his sister Kai Towles...
- "Rob Zombie remembers character actor Tom Towles". Philadelphia Media Network. 6 April 2015. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
...after a stint in the U.S. Marines...
- "Rob Zombie Remembers Character Actor Tom Towles". Contactmusic.com. 6 April 2015. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
...after a stint in the U.S. Marines...
- Jevens, Darel. "TOM TOWLES, 'HENRY: PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER' ACTOR, DIES AT 65". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
...he began his acting career on local stages and in 1971 was part of the original cast of the Organic Theatre's acclaimed series of sci-fi plays "Warp."
- Rife, Katie (6 April 2015). "R.I.P. Tom Towles, horror veteran". The A.V. Club. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
His first film role was a bit part as a cop in Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
- "Overview for Tom Towles".
he returned to Chicago and became a member of the Organic Theatre Company appearing in numerous productions and often collaborating on the writing as well. Towles also acted with the prestigious Goodman Theatre there.
- Dagan, Carmel (6 April 2015). "Tom Towles, Actor in Horror Movies, Dies at 65". Variety. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
Towles returned to the bigscreen after a long absence with an appearance in 1985's "Pink Nights."
- Ryan, Danielle (6 April 2015). "Tom Towles, Horror Movie Actor, Dead at 65". Paste. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
He is best known, however, for his role as Otis opposite Michael Rooker's Henry in 1986's Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. Towles' murderous character was based on real-life serial killer Otis Toole, who admitted to killing the 6-year-old son of John Walsh.
- Barnes, Mike (7 April 2015). "Horror actor Tom Towles dies at 65". CNN. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- "'House of 1000 Corpses' actor Tom Towles dies at 71". Fox News Channel. 7 April 2015. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- Roberts, Katie (6 April 2015). "Character Actor Tom Towles, Star of Horror Films, Dies at 65". Moviefone. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- Lang, Derrik J. (7 April 2015). "Actor Tom Towles, veteran of Rob Zombie horror films, dies at age 71". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- Oldenburg, Ann (6 April 2015). "Character actor Tom Towles dies at 65". Florida Today. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- Gingold, Michael (5 April 2015). "RIP Tom Towles". Fangoria. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
- Robinson, Will (6 April 2015). "Tom Towles, horror actor, dies at 65". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
He was 65 years old.
- "Character Actor Tom Towles Dead at 65". People. 6 April 2015. Retrieved 10 November 2015.
He was 65.
- "Tom Towles dies at 71; actor appeared in several Rob Zombie films". Los Angeles Times. 6 April 2015. Retrieved 7 October 2020.
...died Thursday in Pinellas, Fla., of complications from a stroke...