This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
21 June 1978
|Other names||Tom Lister|
|Years active||1999 - Present|
Tom Lister (born 21 June 1978 in Ingleton, North Yorkshire) is an English actor who is best known for his roles as Carl King in Emmerdale from 2004 till 2012 and as Harry Wainwright in Heartbeat and also as Rob Ingram in The Bill.
Lister was born Thomas Brown but took on his mother's maiden name when acting professionally to avoid confusion with another actor going by the name Tom Brown. He is married to a primary school teacher and they have two sons. He has also remained friends with the actors who played his brothers on-screen, Nick Miles and Matt Healy. He is a devout Christian. He is also an avid Liverpool F.C fan. 
He studied at Birmingham School of Acting (BSA) for three years, pursuing his dream of being an actor and graduated in 2001.
He went on to appear in such television series as Heartbeat, Doctors and The Bill. In February 2004 he got his big break when he debuted on the British soap opera Emmerdale playing Carl King a role which he maintained until his departure from the serial on 18 October 2012, following eight years, after his character was murdered in the show's 40th Anniversary live episode (17 October 2012).
Over the Christmas/New Year period of 2012/13, Lister appeared as Captain Hook in the Sunderland Empire pantomime, Peter Pan.
He made his musical theatre debut in the world premiere of The Water Babies at the Curve in Leicester on 24 April 2014. He played the character Grimes.
Lister appeared alongside his Emmerdale co-stars Lucy Pargeter, Nick Miles, Kelsey-Beth Crossley and Nicola Wheeler as the King family in a special episode of All Star Family Fortunes, playing against Coronation Street's Webster family and winning. He also appeared as singer Jamie Cullum in Stars In Their Eyes.
Lister has been nominated for "Sexiest Male" and "Villain of the Year" awards at The British Soap Awards on various occasions. Other acclamations include:
- In 2007, Tom, along with Lucy Pargeter (aka Chastity Dingle), won Best Couple at the Irish TV Now magazine awards for their portrayal of Chas and Carl.
- In 2009, Tom won Favourite Male Soap Star at the Irish TV Now Magazine awards for his portrayal of Carl King.
- Shifting Units (1999) (Credited as Tom Brown) as Sales Office Team Member
- Heartbeat (2002) as Harry Wainwright
- Doctors (2002) as Andy Mills
- The Bill (2002) as Rob Ingram
- Emmerdale (2004–2012) as Carl King
- Doctors (2016) as Martin Laws
- "Actor makes professional TV debut (From Bradford Telegraph and Argus)". Archive.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk. 24 January 2002. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- Brian McIver (16 October 2007). "Emmerdale's Matt Proud Of His Scottish Roots". Daily Record. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- Paul English (21 August 2010). "I may play a killer and a womaniser but my faith as a Christian keeps me grounded, says Emmerdale's Tom Lister". Daily Record. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tom Lister.|