No. 2,048 ( 3–9 May 2012)
|First issue||October 1971 (as Times Higher Education Supplement)|
Times Higher Education (THE), formerly The Times Higher Education Supplement (THES), is a weekly magazine based in London, reporting specifically on news and issues related to higher education. It is the United Kingdom's leading publication in its field.
From its first issue, in 1971, until 2008, The Times Higher Education Supplement (THES) was published in newspaper format and was born out of, and affiliated with, The Times newspaper. On 10 January 2008, it was relaunched as a magazine. It is published by TES Global, which until October 2005 was a division of Rupert Murdoch's News International. The magazine is edited by John Gill. Phil Baty is the editor-at-large, and is responsible for international coverage. He is also the editor of the magazine's World University Rankings.
Times Higher Education World University Rankings
Times Higher Education became known for publishing the annual Times Higher Education–QS World University Rankings, which first appeared in November 2004. On 30 October 2009 Times Higher Education broke with Quacquarelli Symonds, then its partner in compiling the Rankings, and signed an agreement with Thomson Reuters to provide the data instead. The magazine developed a new methodology in consultation with its readers and its editorial board and the results were published annually from autumn 2010 to 2013, when THE signed a new deal with Elsevier.
The magazine runs two sets of awards annually.
The first is the "Times Higher Education Awards".
The "Times Higher Education Leadership and Management Awards" (Thelmas) were launched in 2009. The Thelmas were set up to recognize the impact that administrative staff have on the success of higher education institutions.
- Ariel Zirulnick (16 September 2010). "New world university ranking puts Harvard back on top". The Christian Science Monitor.
- "The inside story of Poppleton University". News – Press Releases. University of Leicester, UK. 31 October 2007. Retrieved 5 August 2011.
- "PPA Awards 2011". Archived from the original on 7 April 2013.
- Elsevier. "Discover the data behind the Times Higher Education World University Rankings". Elsevier Connect. Retrieved 30 August 2019.
- "RELX said to be planning £100mln takeover of Times Higher Education". Proactiveinvestors UK. 27 November 2018. Retrieved 30 August 2019.
- Baty, Phil. "New data partner for World University Rankings". Times Higher Education. Retrieved 11 July 2012.