|Three Tough Guys|
|Directed by||Duccio Tessari|
|Produced by||Dino De Laurentiis|
|Music by||Isaac Hayes|
|Edited by||Mario Morra|
|Box office||₤761.271 million|
Three Tough Guys (also known as Tough Guys) is a 1974 crime-action film directed by Duccio Tessari. It may be regarded as an example of the Blaxploitation genre. It stars Lino Ventura, Fred Williamson and Isaac Hayes, who also composed the soundtrack. It is a coproduction between United States, Italy (where it was released Uomini duri) and France (where is known as Les Durs). The film was shot in Chicago.
Roman Catholic priest Father Charlie and former police officer Lee solve a bank robbery mystery that stretches across the city. After Lee is removed from the force due to $1,000,000 being stolen from the bank, Father Charlie helps him to gain revenge for the loss of one of his friends.
- Lino Ventura - Father Charlie
- Isaac Hayes - Lee
- Fred Williamson - Joe Snake
- Paula Kelly - Fay
- William Berger - Captain Ryan
- Vittorio Sanipoli - Mike Petralia
- Lorella De Luca - Anne Lombardo
- Mario Erpichini - Gene Lombardo
- Jess Hahn - The Bartender
- Jacques Herlin - Mike Petralia
- Guido Leontini - Sgt. Sam
- Luciano Salce - The bishop
- Nazzareno Zamperla as Snake's henchman
Three Tough Guys opened in New York on March 15, 1974. was released in France under the title Les durs on May 29, 1974. It was released in Italy under the title Uomini duri where it was distributed by Titanus. It grossed a total of 761.271 million Italian lire. Italian film historian and critic Roberto Curti said this gross was "moderate, but not outstanding success" as it had grossed less than half of Enzo G. Castellari's Street Law.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Progressive soul, funk|
|Isaac Hayes chronology|
The soundtrack was composed, conducted and performed by Isaac Hayes, with string arrangements performed by the Memphis Symphony Orchestra and rhythm tracks performed by Isaac Hayes' band, The Movement. The original LP record, Tough Guys, was released by Enterprise Records, an imprint of Stax Records.
Original Track listing
- "Title Theme" - 2:32
- "Randolph & Dearborn" - 4:24
- "The Red Rooster" - 4:04
- "Joe Bell" - 4:57
- "Hung Up On My Baby" - 6:15
- "Kidnapped" - 2:40
- "Run Fay Run" - 2:45
- "Buns O' Plenty" - 4:37
- "The End Theme" - 1:13
- Curti 2013, p. 124.
- Joe Bob Briggs. Profoundly disturbing. Universe, 2003.
- Roberto Curti. Italia odia: il cinema poliziesco italiano. Lindau, 2006.
- "Three Tough Guys". American Film Institute. Archived from the original on 3 April 2014. Retrieved December 9, 2016.
- Winistorfer, Andrew (December 28, 2020). "Isaac Hayes' Prog-Soul Soundtrack Epic". Vinyl Me, Please. Retrieved January 23, 2021.
- Unterberger, Richie. Review: Tough Guys. Allmusic. Retrieved on 2017-04-14.