Third Avenue Bridge
Third Avenue Bridge spanning the Mississippi, viewed from north-west.
|Carries||Four lanes of MN 65|
|Maintained by||Minnesota Department of Transportation|
|Design||Open-spandrel concrete arch bridge|
|Total length||2223 feet|
|Longest span||211 feet|
|Clearance below||42 feet|
Third Avenue Bridge
|Architectural style||Melan arch bridge, open spandrel|
|Part of||St. Anthony Falls Historic District (#71000438)|
|Designated CP||March 11, 1971|
Bridges over the Mississippi in Minneapolis–St. Paul. 3rd Ave is near middle of the image between Hennepin Ave. Bridge and Stone Arch Bridge.
The Third Avenue Bridge is a landmark structure of the city of Minneapolis, Minnesota, originally known as the St. Anthony Falls Bridge. It carries road traffic across the Mississippi River and right over the upper fringes of Saint Anthony Falls. The multi-arched bridge meets with Third Avenue in downtown Minneapolis at its south end, but curves as it crosses the river, and connects with Central Avenue on its north end. The shallow "S" curve in the bridge was built to avoid fractures in the limestone bedrock that supports the bridge piers. The road is also designated Minnesota State Highway 65. Construction began in 1914, and it opened four years later in 1918. The bridge, which uses Melan arches of an open spandrel design, has been modified since that time. The 2,223-foot (667.6 m) crossing was designed by city engineer Frederick W. Cappelen, who also created plans for other similar bridges in Minneapolis such as the Franklin Avenue Bridge. It cost US$862,254.00 at the time.
The bridge underwent a major overhaul in 1979-1980. Another restoration is planned to extend its life 50 years with a new deck, and other improvements to barriers, railings, and lighting. As the bridge is a contributing member of the St. Anthony Falls Historic District, a goal of the project is preserving its historic design elements. The three-year construction project is to begin in fall 2019 under the direction of general contractor Finley Engineering Group.
- Zschomler, Kristen for Mead & Hunt (2006). "Minnesota Historic Property Record: Third Avenue Bridge" (PDF). Minnesota Department of Transportation (dot.state.mn.us). Retrieved August 22, 2011.
- "Historic Bridge to Be Rehabilitated (Again)". Public Works. March 26, 2018. Retrieved April 20, 2018.
- Bridges 2005: Third Avenue Bridge - Saint Anthony Main .
- Third Avenue Bridge - Minneapolis Riverfront District Bridges 2005.
- Costello, Mary Charlotte (2002). Climbing the Mississippi River Bridge by Bridge, Volume Two: Minnesota. Cambridge, MN: Adventure Publications. ISBN 0-9644518-2-4.
Media related to Third Avenue Bridge (Minneapolis) at Wikimedia Commons