|They Don't Wear Black Tie|
|Directed by||Leon Hirszman|
|Produced by||Leon Hirszman|
|Written by||Leon Hirszman|
|Based on||Eles Não Usam Black-Tie|
by Gianfranco Guarnieri
Carlos Alberto Riccelli
|Music by||Radamés Gnattali|
|Edited by||Eduardo Escorel|
Leon Hirszman Produções
The film revolves around a working-class family in São Paulo in 1980. Otávio, a syndicalist leader, and Romana are the parents of Tião, whose girlfriend, Maria, becomes pregnant. Fearing to be fired and thus unable to support his now fiancée, Tião does not participate on a strike, which starts a series of family conflicts.
- Gianfrancesco Guarnieri as Otávio
- Fernanda Montenegro as Romana
- Carlos Alberto Riccelli as Tião
- Bete Mendes as Maria
- Milton Gonçalves as Bráulio
- Francisco Milani as Sartini
- Lélia Abramo as Maria's mother
- Fernando Ramos da Silva as Maria's brother
The film entered the competition at the 38th Venice International Film Festival, in which won the Special Jury Prize. It won the Best Film Award at the 3rd Havana Film Festival, at the 26th Valladolid International Film Festival, and shared with Plae Kao at the 3rd Three Continents Festival.
- "Eles não Usam Black Tie" (in Portuguese). Cinemateca Brasileira. Retrieved March 4, 2014.
- Enrico Lancia. I premi del cinema. Gremese Editore, 1998. ISBN 8877422211.
- "Premios 3ra Edición del Festival Internacional del Nuevo Cine Latinoamericano" (in Spanish). Havana Film Festival. Archived from the original on March 4, 2014. Retrieved March 4, 2014.
- "Histórico: Año 1981" (in Spanish). Valladolid International Film Festival. Archived from the original on May 2, 2014. Retrieved May 2, 2014.
- "3ème Festival des 3 Continents – 1981" (in French). Three Continents Festival. Archived from the original on May 2, 2014. Retrieved May 2, 2014.
- French, John D. (2010). "They don't wear black-tie: intellectuals and workers in São Paulo, Brazil, 1958–1981". ArtCultura. 12 (21): 111–129.