|"Then You Look at Me"|
|Single by Celine Dion|
|from the album All the Way... A Decade of Song and Bicentennial Man Soundtrack|
|Released||11 December 1999(cancelled)|
|Studio||Paradise Sounds, FLM Studios, Todd-AO|
|Celine Dion singles chronology|
"Then You Look at Me" is the theme song to the 1999 film Bicentennial Man. It was supposed to be released as the second single from Celine Dion's album All the Way... A Decade of Song, on 11 December 1999. "Then You Look at Me" was written by James Horner and Will Jennings, who wrote for Dion her 1997 hit "My Heart Will Go On", which was the theme for the film Titanic.
Background and release
The Bicentennial Man film, released on 13 December 1999, and starring Robin Williams, became a flop and the single was cancelled. The second reason was that "That's the Way It Is" became a hit and was still strong on the singles charts around the world. However, "Then You Look at Me" was included as a B-side to the "Live (for the One I Love)", The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" and "I Want You to Need Me" singles. The movie soundtrack also included the song but in a slightly modified version, produced by James Horner and Simon Franglen. The version from Dion's album was produced by David Foster, Horner and Franglen and differs in arrangements and in Dion's interpretation.
The "Then You Look at Me" music video, featuring Dion in a futuristic outfit and set in a robot research facility with clips of the film playing on screens in the background, was directed by Bille Woodruff and released at the end of 1999. It was included on Dion's All the Way... A Decade of Song & Video DVD in 2001.
AllMusic senior editor Stephen Thomas Erlewine said that "this song isn't bad, it just isn't particularly memorable", while comparing to Dion's hits. Michael Paoletta from Billboard highlighted it and called it characteristically "roof-raising, fan-stoking" Dion anthem. Geoff Edgers from Salon Magazine noted that the song "have that crashing Dion quality". Christopher Smith from TalkAboutPopMusic described "Then You Look at Me" as "dramatic".
Formats and track listings
Chilean promotional CD single
- "Then You Look at Me" (Album Version) – 4:08
- "Then You Look at Me" (Soundtrack Version) – 4:20
- All The Way... A Decade of Song Archived 19 July 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- Glatzer, Jenna (2005). Céline Dion: For Keeps. Andrews McMeel Publishing. ISBN 0-7407-5559-5.
- All The Way... A Decade Of Song And Video - Video/DVD Archived 9 June 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- "Billboard". 13 November 1999.
- Edgers, Geoff (1 December 1999). "Arts & Entertainment >> Music". Salon Magazine. Archived from the original on 15 January 2009. Retrieved 21 April 2020.
- Smith, Christopher (30 November 2019). "REVIEW: 'ALL THE WAY: A DECADE OF SONG' – CELINE DION". TalkAboutPopMusic. Retrieved 14 April 2020.