founded as Basler Stadttheater
|Owner||City government of Basel, Switzerland|
|Opened||1834 (first building (as Basler Stadttheater))|
1875 (second building)
1909 (third building)
1975 (fourth building)
|Demolished||7 October 1904 (2nd building destroyed by fire)|
|Years active||since 1834|
|Architect||Melchior Berri (first building)|
Johann Jakob Stehlin der Jüngere (second building)
|Opera and ballet companies (among other uses)|
Theater Basel is the municipal theatre of the city of Basel, Switzerland, which is home to the city's opera and ballet companies. The theatre also presents plays and musicals in addition to operas and operettas.
Because the theatre does not have its own orchestra, the Basel Symphony Orchestra is usually contracted to perform for opera and ballet productions as needed. For baroque-opera productions, La Cetra, the baroque orchestra of the Schola Cantorum Basiliensis, is engaged.
In 1873 work on a new theatre began which was designed by Johann Jakob Stehlin Jr.. This second theatre opened in 1875 and was used until it was destroyed by fire on October 7th, 1904.
Plans for a third theatre were soon made, but it was five years before the theatre finally opened in 1909. The fourth theatre opened in 1975.
In October 2018, the company announced the appointment of Kristiina Poska as its next General Music Director (GMD; Generalmusikdirektorin), effective with the 2019-2020 season.
- Leo Melitz (1899–1919)
- Ernst Lert (1919–1920)
- Otto Henning (1921–1925)
- Oskar Wälterlin (1925–1932)
- Egon Neudegg (1932–1949)
- Gottfried Becker, Kurt Horowitz, Hans Thudium (1949–1950; joint directors)
- Friedrich Schramm (1950–1953)
- Albert Wiesner (1953–1954)
- Hermann Wedekind (1954–1960)
- Werner Düggelin (1968–1975)
- Hans Hollmann (1975–1978)
- Horst Statkus (1978–1988)
- Frank Baumbauer (1988–1993)
- Wolfgang Zörner (1993–1994)
- Hans Peter Doll (1994–1996)
- Michael Schindhelm (1996–2006)
- Georges Delnon (2006–2015)
- Andreas Beck (2015–present)
- "Kristiina Poska wird Musikdirektorin am Theater Basel". Basler Zeitung. 2018-10-11. Retrieved 2018-10-16.
- Dominique Spirgi (2005). "Theater Basel, Basel BS". In Andreas Kotte (ed.). Theaterlexikon der Schweiz (TLS) / Dictionnaire du théâtre en Suisse (DTS) / Dizionario Teatrale Svizzero / Lexicon da teater svizzer [Theater Dictionary of Switzerland] (in German). 3. Zürich: Chronos. pp. 1846–1848. ISBN 978-3-0340-0715-3. LCCN 2007423414. OCLC 62309181.