|The Years Between|
|Directed by||Compton Bennett|
|Produced by||Sydney Box|
Betty E. Box
|Written by||Muriel Box|
|Based on||the play by Daphne du Maurier|
|Music by||Benjamin Frankel|
|Cinematography||Reginald H. Wyer|
|Edited by||Gordon Hales|
|Distributed by||General Film Distributors|
|3 April 1946|
|Box office||£153,000 (UK) (by July 1953)|
The Years Between (1946) is a British film directed by Compton Bennett and starring Michael Redgrave, Valerie Hobson and Flora Robson in an adaptation of the 1945 play The Years Between by Daphne du Maurier. It was shot at the Riverside Studios.
The film charts the homecoming of a British MI6 officer, who had been working with the French Resistance and was presumed dead. His wife is about to marry again, and to become an MP, and all must now readjust to the new situation.
- Michael Redgrave as Michael Wentworth
- Valerie Hobson as Diana Wentworth
- Flora Robson as Nanny
- James McKechnie as Richard Llewellyn
- Felix Aylmer as Sir Ernest Foster
- Dulcie Gray as Judy
- John Gilpin as Robin Wentworth
- Edward Rigby as Postman
- Esma Cannon as Effie
- Lyn Evans as Ames
- Wylie Watson as Venning
- Yvonne Owen as Alice
- Muriel Aked as Mrs. May
- Joss Ambler as Atherton
- Ernest Butcher as Old Man
- Katie Johnson as Old Man's wife
According to trade papers, the film was a "notable box office attraction" at British cinemas.
The New York Times wrote, "an intimate and sometimes touching tale...Intelligently handled by Compton Bennett who directed the drama with an eye toward distilling character and perception from his cast...But it is rather unfortunate that the cast's intense and genuine portrayals are not matched by the over-all effect of this serious but heavy vehicle."
It was the 22nd most popular film at the British box office in 1946 after The Wicked Lady, The Bells of St. Mary's, Piccadilly Incident, The Captive Heart, Road to Utopia, Caravan, Anchors Aweigh, The Corn Is Green, Gilda, The House on 92nd Street, The Overlanders, Appointment with Crime, The Bandit of Sherwood Forest, Kitty, Spellbound, Scarlet Street, Men of Two Worlds, Courage of Lassie, Mildred Pierce, The Spiral Staircase and Brief Encounter.
- Andrew Spicer, Sydney Box Manchester Uni Press 2006 p 210
- IMDB entry
- "The Years Between | BFI | BFI". Explore.bfi.org.uk. Archived from the original on 13 July 2012. Retrieved 14 March 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Robert Murphy, Realism and Tinsel: Cinema and Society in Britain 1939-48 2003 p209
- A.W. (10 March 1947). "Movie Review - The Years Between - At the Park Avenue". NYTimes.com. Retrieved 14 March 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Hollywood Sneaks In 15 Films on '25 Best' List of Arty Britain". The Washington Post. 15 January 1947. p. 2.