Type of site
|Launched||November 14, 2001|
The Truth About Cars (TTAC) is a blog covering automobiles, automotive products and the auto industry, begun in 2002 featuring a mix of automotive reviews, editorials and news. It is home to the annual Ten Worst Automobiles awards, which are nominated and selected by the readers. It also featured multiple series predicting the demise of domestic automakers, namely GM and Ford “Death Watch” and Chrysler "Suicide Watch" series.
Time magazine  called TTAC one of the 25 "Best Blogs of 2011". Forbes magazine listed TTAC as a “Best of the Web” automotive blog as far back as 2005. PC Magazine listed TTAC as one of its "100 Favorite Blogs" in 2007.
Founded by Robert Farago in 2002, The Truth About Cars publicised itself as an independent voice in the automotive media, at a time when many outlets were coming under fire for their close relationships with advertisers, particularly auto manufacturers. TTAC adopted an adversarial tone, particularly with regard to the Big Three domestic auto makers. This was exacerbated by Farago's "GM Death Watch" series, which correctly predicted the bankruptcy of General Motors over a 200+ part series. In 2012, TTAC revived the "Death Watch" series, when contributing author Mark Stevenson correctly predicted the demise of Suzuki's North American auto sales arm.
After being acquired by VerticalScope, a Canadian online media firm, Farago departed, and Ed Niedermeyer became Editor-In-Chief in 2010.
In 2013, Jack Baruth posted an article announcing that Bertel Schmitt had left the blog and that he (Baruth) and Derek Kreindler would be taking over. Baruth promised a "reboot" with previously banned commenters being welcomed back.
After Kreindler left the blog in April 2015, the Editor In Chief role was transitioned to a team at AutoGuide while Mark Stevenson became the Managing Editor. Stevenson remained the Managing Editor until that role was taken over by Tim Healey in August 2017. Jack Baruth left the blog in 2018.
Notes and references
- "New Car Reviews, Ratings & Pricing, Auto News for New Models | The Truth About Cars".
- "The Truth About Cars Website Names Its Ten Worst Automobiles for 2006".
- "The Best Blogs of 2011". Time. June 6, 2011.
- "Forbes.com Best of the Web". Archived from the original on 2005-12-04. Retrieved 2015-08-19.
- "Our 100 Favorite Blogs - The Truth About Cars". PC Magazine. Archived from the original on 2007-10-30.
- Mark Stevenson. "Suzuki Death Watch 8: A Eulogy Due To Incompetence". The Truth About Cars. Retrieved Aug 19, 2015.
- Robert Farago. "2005 Subaru B9 Tribeca Review". The Truth About Cars. Retrieved May 13, 2015.
- Robert Farago. "BMW Bans TTAC: The Vagina Dialogues". The Truth About Cars. Retrieved Aug 19, 2015.
- Bertel Schmitt. "Small SUV Crashopalooza: Detroit Loses, Dykes Win". The Truth About Cars. Retrieved May 13, 2015.
- Matt Hardigree. "Steven Lang has resigned his editorship at TTAC after comments from that site's editor". Jalopnik. Retrieved Aug 19, 2015.
- Jack Baruth. "In Which We Bid A Fond Farewell To Our Former Editor, Reinstate Banned Commenters, And Welcome All Of You Back Home To TTAC". The Truth About Cars. Retrieved Aug 19, 2015.
- Jack Baruth. "In Which We Bid A Fond Farewell To Our Former Editor, Reinstate Banned Commenters, And Welcome All Of You Back Home To TTAC". The Truth About Cars. Retrieved May 13, 2015.