|Owner(s)||Independent News and Media SA|
|Editor||Japhet Mathanda Ncube|
|Founded||6 January 1871|
The Star is a daily newspaper based in Gauteng, South Africa. It is one of the titles under the Independent News & Media South Africa group recently acquired by Sekunjalo Media Consortium led by founder and chairman Dr Iqbal Survé. It was previously owned by Independent News & Media. The newspaper employed three members of the Bang-Bang Club. It employed Kevin Carter as a staff photographer in 1984.:41 Ken Oosterbroek worked for the paper before being appointed its chief photographer in August 1991. He hired Joao Silva shortly afterwards.:46
The Star newspaper appeared for the first time in Johannesburg as The Eastern Star. It was founded in Grahamstown under that title on 6 January 1871 (as a resurrection of the previous Great Eastern paper), and was moved to the Witwatersrand sixteen years later by its owners, brothers Thomas and George Sheffield. In 1889, the name Eastern Star was changed to the one currently in use.
- Business Report (Monday-Friday)
- Tonight (Monday-Friday)
- Workplace (Monday & Wednesday)
- Motoring (Thursday)
- Play (Once a month)
|Jan - Mar 2015||91 735|
|Jan - Mar 2014||101 711|
|Oct - Dec 2012||102 244|
|Jul - Sep 2012||105 686|
|Apr - Jun 2012||117 874|
|Jan - Mar 2012||124 641|
|January – December 2012||615 000|
|July 2011 - June 2012||683 000|
- "Sekunjalo finalises INMSA purchase". iol.co.za Website. Retrieved 21 August 2013.
- Marinovich, Greg; Silva Joao (2000). The Bang-Bang Club Snapshots from a Hidden War. William Heinemann. ISBN 0-434-00733-1.
- "SA History Website". Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- "The Star Website". Archived from the original on 27 May 2011. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- Audit Bureau of Circulations (S.A)
- SAARF AMPS (Previous Presentations)
- SAARF AMPS (Industry Presentations)
|This South African newspaper-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|