Sundance film poster
|Directed by||Mona Fastvold|
|Produced by||Karin Julsrud|
|Written by||Mona Fastvold|
|Music by||Sondre Lerche|
|Edited by||Mike Mazzotta|
Jon Endre Mørk
4 1/2 Film
|Distributed by||Nordisk Filmdistribusjon|
The Sleepwalker is a 2014 Norwegian-American drama film directed by Mona Fastvold and co-written by Fastvold and Brady Corbet. The film stars Gitte Witt, Christopher Abbott, Stephanie Ellis and Corbet.
A young couple, Kaia and Andrew, are renovating Kaia's secluded family estate. Their lives are violently disrupted upon the unexpected arrival of Kaia's sister, Christine, and her fiancé, Ira.
The Sleepwalker received mixed reviews upon its premiere at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival. Rodrigo Perez of Indiewire praised the film and said that "A darkly mysterious and extremely accomplished first feature, The Sleepwalker suggests the things we lost in the fire might be much deeper than material possessions." Thomas Willett of Cinemabeach gave the film a positive review and said that "As a debut, Fastvold makes a promising, complex film that shows confidence. With great performances by an intimate cast, she manages to capture the nuances of disagreement without falling into soapy territory."
Dennis Harvey, in his review for Variety, gave the film a negative review by saying that "Mona Fastvold's consistently intriguing debut may leave audiences feeling it's all buildup and scant payoff." Justin Lowe in his review for The Hollywood Reporter called the film "A tentative feint toward genre territory can’t conceal the slightness of this heightened drama."
- "Sondre Lerche Helps Make Sundance's 'The Sleepwalker' a Sinister Psych-Thriller". Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- "The Sleepwalker (2014 Sundance capsule)". Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- "Sundance 2014: U.S. Dramatic Competition". Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- "'The Sleepwalker' Sundance Trailer". Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- "Sundance Review: 'The Sleepwalker' Starring Brady Corbet Is An Unsettling Look At Family Dysfunction & Secrets'". Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- "Sundance Review: 'The Sleepwalker' is a Creepy Take on Dysfunctional Relationships". Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- "Sundance Film Review: 'The Sleepwalker'". Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- "The Sleepwalker: Sundance Review". Retrieved April 14, 2014.
- "THE SLEEPWALKER". Retrieved October 14, 2019.