|The Sinister Man|
|Directed by||Clive Donner|
|Produced by||Jack Greenwood|
|Written by||Robert Stewart|
|Based on||novel The Sinister Man by Edgar Wallace|
|Music by||Charles Blackwell|
|Edited by||Derek Holding|
|Distributed by||Anglo-Amalgamated Film Distributors|
The Sinister Man is a 1961 British crime drama film directed by Clive Donner and starring Patrick Allen and John Bentley. It was one of the series of Edgar Wallace Mysteries, British second-features, produced at Merton Park Studios in the 1960s.
The body of an Oxford professor is found floating in the river Thames. He had previously been studying an archeological artefact known as the Kytang Wafers, and this is now missing. Scotland Yard investigates. The wafers are bits of ancient text that could alter the relations between Red China and a Tibetan type nation called "Kytang". An autopsy reveals that the professor was murdered by a karate blow.
- John Bentley as Superintendent Wills
- Patrick Allen as Dr. Nelson Pollard
- Gerald Anderson as Major Paul Amery
- Edward Atienza as Clerk
- Wilfrid Brambell as Lock keeper
- Yvonne Buckingham as Miss Russell
- Michael Deacon as Angus
- Jacqueline Ellis as Elsa Marlowe
- Keith Faulkner as Lock keeper's assistant
- William Gaunt as Mitch Hallam
- John Glyn-Jones as Dr. Maurice Tarn
- Peter Hager as Warden
- John Horsley as Pathologist
- Burt Kwouk as Captain Feng
- Arnold Lee as Soyok
- Robert Lee as Nam Lee
- Brian McDermott as Detective Sergeant Stillman
- Don McKillop as Reporter
MemorableTV.com described the film as "definitely one of the great Edgar Wallace entries with a fab cast that includes a pre-Steptoe Wilfred Brambell, Patrick Allen, William Gaunt and Burt Kwouk. John Bentley who took the lead as Superintendent Willis was a popular actor in the late fifties and early sixties but is all but forgotten these days"; while Classic Movie Ramblings wrote "The Sinister Man isn’t exactly a good movie but it has plenty of energy and a few intriguingly odd moments. I found it to be strangely appealing."
The film is included in Volume 2 of The Edgar Wallace Mystery series, released on region 2 DVD by Network, in 2012.
- "The Sinister Man". BFI. Archived from the original on 13 January 2009.
- "» EDGAR WALLACE AT MERTON PARK – by Tise Vahimagi".
- Mem TV. "Edgar Wallace Mysteries: The Sinister Man (1961 Merton Park with John Bentley)".
- "Classic Movie Ramblings: The Sinister Man (1961)". 25 May 2018.
- "The Edgar Wallace Mysteries - Volume 2". www.dvdbeaver.com.