|November 20, 1991|
The Simpsons Uncensored Family Album is a 1991 book, by Matt Groening, that mimics a family album that the Simpsons television family would have. It includes family trees of the Bouvier (Marge Simpson's ancestors) and Simpson families. The Simpsons Uncensored Family Album was published by Harper Paperbacks. Reviews of the book from critics have noted that fans of The Simpsons should enjoy it.
The author of The Simpsons Uncensored Family Album is Matt Groening, the creator of the animated series The Simpsons on which the book is based. It was released by Harper Paperbacks on November 20, 1991. The book's cover, which features the character Bart Simpson lying naked on his stomach on a bearskin rug, is a reference to a 1972 centerfold of Cosmopolitan in which American actor Burt Reynolds posed naked in a similar way. Newer printings feature Homer naked on the rug.
The album begins with photographs and memorabilia from the ancestors of the two families, and then progresses with baby photos of Homer and Marge, and then profiles them as they grow up and fall in love. Finally it shows photographs and memorabilia from Bart's, Lisa's and Maggie's childhoods. The Simpson tree can be found on the inside of the front cover, while the Bouvier family appears on the inside of the back cover. It is revealed by the family trees, for example, that Homer is descended from Scandinavians and American Indians, and Marge is descended from the French. The information in the book has contradicted several times on The Simpsons and its canonicity is unknown.
Ann Burt Meyer of The Capital Times noted that "children will clamor for this full-color cartoon book if they're fans of the show. Adult buyers may want to check it out first — because the book, like the TV show, has innuendoes for adults only." Charles Solomon of the Los Angeles Times wrote that "fans of television's most popular underachievers will enjoy Groening's The Simpsons Uncensored Family Album a collection of bizarre memorabilia that traces the clan back to their bug-eyed ancestors Sven Simpson, Claretta Ethridge, Mary Frowning Cloud, and Joe Puffing Goat."
- The Comics Journal, Issues 144-147. The Comics Journal, Inc. 1991. p. 22.
- Loohauis, Jackie (1991-08-06). "It's time to harvest fall's crop". The Milwaukee Journal.
- "Little Bart flashes his part". Leader-Post. Postmedia News. 2007-04-27. Archived from the original on 2012-11-04. Retrieved 2011-09-03.
- "The Simpsons Uncensored Family Album". Amazon.com. Amazon.com. 2006-10-26. Retrieved 2014-11-06.
- Groening, Matt (1991). The Simpsons Uncensored Family Album. Harper Paperbacks. ISBN 978-0-06-096582-2.
- Connelly, Eileen Aj (1993-11-21). "Gifts for Seinfeld fans can make them masters of their own domain popular sitcoms". Staten Island Advance.
- Meyer, Ann Burt (1992-03-04). "With books, it's all in the family". The Capital Times.
- Solomon, Charles (1991-12-01). "Paperbacks". Los Angeles Times.