The Record Company
From left to right: Chris Vos, Alex Stiff, Marc Cazorla
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, United States|
The Record Company is an American rock band Los Angeles. The members are Chris Vos (guitar, lead vocals), Alex Stiff (bass, backing vocals), and Marc Cazorla (drums, backing vocals). Their music is influenced by blues musicians like John Lee Hooker, early punk bands like The Stooges, and rock bands like The Rolling Stones. Their sound incorporates slide guitar, distorted bass, a Ludwig drum kit and the vocals of Chris Vos.
The trio started in late 2011, hanging up old microphones and recording live in the bass player's living room in Los Feliz, California. The Record Company have since played concert halls across North America, opening for acts as diverse as John Mayer, B.B. King, Social Distortion, Buddy Guy, Bob Seger, Grace Potter, and Trombone Shorty. The band toured Europe supporting Blackberry Smoke in late 2015.
Give It Back to You (2016–2017)
Their first full-length album Give It Back to You was released on Concord Records on February 12, 2016. The album was written, recorded, and mixed by the band in the same living room the Los Feliz neighborhood of Los Angeles where The Record Company formed and did their first recordings and the album is marked by the band's ambidextrous instrumentation, built upon guitar, bass, and drums but also deftly incorporating harmonica, dobro slide, lap slide, pedal steel, piano, and anything else that might serve the music. The lead single, "Off the Ground", reached #1 on the US Billboard Adult Alternative Songs chart. The album's second single, “Rita Mae Young,” reached No. 12 on the Adult Alternative Songs chart.
The album spent 42 weeks on both the Billboard Heatseekers Albums Chart and the Nielsen Alternative New Artist Chart and was nominated for a Grammy Award in the category of Best Contemporary Blues Album.
Rolling Stone also included The Record Company in their April 2016 list of "10 New Artists You Need to Know."
Give It Back to You was nominated for Best Contemporary Blues Album in the 2017 Grammy Awards, losing to The Last Days of Oakland by Fantastic Negrito. "Life to Fix" will be released as their lead single from their new album All of This Life on April 30, 2018. All of This Life will be released on June 22, 2018.
To promote Give It Back to You, the band has appeared on CBS’ Late Show with Stephen Colbert, CBS This Morning and TBS’ Conan, as well as SiriusXM, NPR’s World Café Live, and Chicago, IL’s WXRT. The band were also favorites at the Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival, prompting Rolling Stone Country to name the trio’s set among the event’s “5 Best Country and Americana Moments” while declaring it “a wildly energetic show and one of the most communal experiences of the festival.��� The Record Company embarked on their first ever headline tour in the fall of 2016 in support of Give It Back to You, selling out 32 of the 41 shows they played. That was followed up with a tour opening for John Mayer in early 2017, which hit such iconic venues as Madison Square Garden, the Boston Garden and the United Center in Chicago. The band then immediately left for tours of Australia and Europe - and soon followed with numerous festival appearances and the band’s first ever show at the world-famous Red Rocks in the summer of 2017.
All of this Life (2017–present)
In the spring of 2017, they followed up with “Baby, I’m Broken,” which reached No. 6 on the Adult Alternative Songs chart.  The song did not appear on any album.
- Chris Vos – vocals, guitars, lap steel, pedal steel, harmonica
- Alex Stiff – bass, guitars, piano, vocals
- Marc Cazorla – drums, piano, vocals
|Title||Peak chart positions||Sales|
|Give It Back to You
|All of This Life||94||—||15||9||
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Off the Ground"||2016||1||26||30||Give It Back to You|
|"Rita Mae Young"||12||—||—|
|"On the Move"||—||—||—|
|"Baby I'm Broken"||2017||6||—||46||Non-album single|
|"Life to Fix"||2018||1||27||35||All of This Life|
|"Make It Happen"||9||—||—|
|"Goodbye to the Hard Life"||2019||—||—||—|
|"You and Me Now"||—||—||—|
|"—" denotes a single that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
Vinyl singles and EPs
- "Don't Let Me Get Lonely"/"Born Unnamed" vinyl 7" single self-released March 2012
- "This Crooked City"/"Tallahassee Lassie" vinyl 7" single released May 2012 by Turntable Kitchen
- Superdead EP – released July 17, 2012
- Covers EP – released November 28, 2012
- Feels So Good EP – released November 19, 2013
- Feels So Good EP Vinyl Edition (Kill/Hurt Records). Limited edition 180-gram gold vinyl featuring 3 unreleased extended length tracks, released March 24, 2014
Appearances in media
- Their cover of The O'Jays' "Love Train" was featured in a 2012 Coors Light commercial
- "Feels So Good" was featured in USA's Suits in S3E05 (August 13, 2013)
- "Ain't Love Warm" was featured in USA's Suits in S3E05 (August 13, 2013) and S3E10 (September 17, 2013)
- "Feels So Good" featured in the theatrical trailer for Last Vegas (2013)
- "Baby I'm Broken" was featured in CBS's CSI: Crime Scene Investigation in Season 14, Episode 15: "Love for Sale" (February 19, 2014)
- "Rita Mae Young" featured in the BBC America show Orphan Black S2E04 - "Governed as It Were by Chance" (May 10, 2014)
- "Off the Ground" appears in a Miller Lite commercial, March 2015
- "Don't Let Me Get Lonely", "Feels So Good", and "In the Mood for You" featured in Showtime's Shameless
- "I Want Change" featured in ABC's Nashville
- "In the Mood for You" was used in the 2016 film Bad Moms.
- On March 7, 2016 The Record Company appeared on Conan, performing "Off The Ground" from their album Give It Back to You.
- On May 20, 2017 The Record Company appeared on CBS This Morning, performing "Off The Ground" and "Baby I'm Broken" from their album Give It Back to You.
- "Off the Ground" is heard in Season 1 Episode 2 of CBS's Seal Team, October 2017.
- "Hard Day Coming Down" and "Never Gonna Cry For Me" appeared in the 2017 film Live or Die in La Honda.
- 5:29 PM ET. "The Record Company On World Cafe : World Cafe". NPR. Retrieved 2016-05-28.
- "The Record Company - Chart History - Adult Alternative Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2018-06-03.
- "The Record Company debut soul scorcher 'Feels So Good'". Entertainment Weekly's EW.com. Retrieved 2016-10-25.
- Miller, Joshua M. (March 22, 2016). "The Record Company: The Best of What's Next". www.pastemagazine.com/. Paste Magazine. Retrieved October 26, 2016.
- L, Jason; Arts, ry; Writer, Music (2016-02-08). "Chris Vos: From Behind the Six String | Huffington Post". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2016-10-25.
- "Hear the Record Company's Bluesy 'Hard Day Coming Down'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2016-10-25.
- "Rolling Stone Country".
- "Rolling Stone".
- "Providence Monthly".
- "10 New Artists You Need to Know: April 2016". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2016-10-25.
- "59th Annual GRAMMY Awards Winners & Nominees". GRAMMY.com. Retrieved 2017-02-26.
- "Broadway World".
- "Shallow Nation".
- "Conan O'Brien (TBS)".
- "Rolling Stone Country".
- "NPR Music".
- "Rolling Stone".
- "The Record Company - Chart History - Heatseekers Albums". Billboard. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- "The Record Company - Chart History - Rock Albums". Billboard. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- "The Record Company - Chart History - Alternative Albums". Billboard. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- "Future Releases on Triple A (AAA) Radio Stations, Independent Artist Song Releases | ..." All Access. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- "Building Album Sales Chart | HITS Daily Double". 2018-07-03. Retrieved 2018-09-24.
- "The Record Company Chart History: Mainstream Rock Songs". Billboard. Retrieved 2018-06-12.
- "The Record Company Chart History: Rock Airplay". Billboard. Retrieved 2018-06-03.
- "The Record Company Perform 'On The Move' - YouTube".
The band makes their Late Show debut and perform the latest single off their album 'Give It Back To You.'
- Concord Music Group (2017-03-15), The Record Company: Baby I'm Broken, retrieved 2017-03-25
- "Future Releases on Triple A (AAA) Radio Stations, Independent Artist Song Releases". AllAccess. Retrieved 2018-11-06.