|The Pick-up Artist|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||James Toback|
|Produced by||Warren Beatty|
David Leigh MacLeod
|Written by||James Toback|
|Music by||Georges Delerue|
|Edited by||David Bretherton|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
|September 18, 1987|
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (December 2019)
Randy Jensen is a smart, independent tour guide who beats womanizer Jack Jericho at his own game. After a quick fling, her indifference only causes him to become smitten with her.
- Molly Ringwald as Randy Jensen
- Robert Downey as Jack Jericho
- Dennis Hopper as Flash Jensen
- Danny Aiello as Phil Harper
- Mildred Dunnock as Nellie
- Harvey Keitel as Alonzo Scolara
- Bob Gunton as Fernando Portacarrero
- Brian Hamill as Mike
- Tamara Bruno as Karen
- Vanessa L. Williams as Rae, Girl with Dog
- Angie Kempf as Jack's Student
- Polly Draper as Pat, Jack's Colleague
- Frederick Koehler as Richie
- Robert Towne as Stan
- Victoria Jackson as Lulu
- Lorraine Bracco as Carla
- Fred Melamed as George
- Daniel Smith as Casino Cashier
- Christine Baranskias Harriet, woman on bus
James Toback wrote the film for Warren Beatty who liked the script but was reluctant to play a character driven by his erotic compulsions. Toback then considered Robert De Niro but ultimately decided the role should be played by a younger actor.
The film was at Paramount. Then in 1984 Beatty bought it and set up the production at Fox. Toback says the film was "not even remotely" based on Beatty. "The guy in the script chases after people. Warren always has people chasing after him."
It was Toback's fourth film as director. He says his first three "were all dark movies that ended unhappily. Now I'm taking a vacation from dread and gloom. If you were casting Pick Up Artist 30 years ago you would have wanted Cary Grant and Irene Dunne. No two actors would have been more wrong for my other movies."
The film opened at number 5 at the US Box Office.
- James Toback, "A Hollywood Mis-Education", Vanity Fair, March 2014 accessed 10 February 2014
- Hartmetz, Aljean (20 September 1985). "A Russian Director gives a diagnosis". New York Times. p. c8.
- "The Pick-Up Artist (1987)".
- Maslin, Janet (1987-09-18). "Movie Review - The Pick Up Artist - Film: 'Pickup Artist,' From James Toback - NYTimes.com". Movies.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- Roger Ebert (1987-09-18). "The Pick-Up Artist :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews". Rogerebert.suntimes.com. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- "'The Pick-Up Artist' (PG-13)". Washingtonpost.com. 1987-09-18. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- "Weekend Box Office - Los Angeles Times". Articles.latimes.com. 1991-01-08. Retrieved 2012-09-20.