|Directed by||King Vidor|
|Produced by||Marion Davies|
William Randolph Hearst
|Written by||Barry Conners (play)|
Agnes Christine Johnston
|Music by||Vivek Maddala|
|Cinematography||John F. Seitz|
|Edited by||Hugh Wynn|
The Patsy is a 1928 American silent comedy-drama film directed by King Vidor, co-produced by and starring Marion Davies for Cosmopolitan Productions, and released by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. It was Marie Dressler's "comeback" film after a long slump in her film career.
- Marion Davies as Patricia Harrington
- Orville Caldwell as Tony Anderson
- Marie Dressler as Ma Harrington
- Lawrence Gray as Billy Caldwell
- Dell Henderson as Pa Harrington
- Jane Winton as Grace Harrington
- William H. O'Brien as Waiter (uncredited)
The Patsy saw Marion Davies starring in her 27th film, a screwball comedy that has been recognized as a classic. This was Davies' first film (of three) with director King Vidor and the only time she appeared with Marie Dressler. Once again, Davies bobbed her hair, this time to play the dowdy and downtrodden Patricia, the younger daughter in a household ruled by an imperious mother (Dressler) and selfish sister (Jane Winton). Vidor encouraged Davies to cut loose and use her comedic talents to their fullest, and the result was a joyous Davies who runs and somersaults and cavorts like a mad woman after she decides to "get some personality." The highlights of the film is the extended sequence where she tries to get the attention of the sleepy Billy Caldwell (Lawrence Gray). Davies resorts to impersonating Lillian Gish, Mae Murray, and Pola Negri in an effort to get Billy's attention. The transformations are truly remarkable. The reviews were rapturous and the film was a huge hit. Hearst and MGM were so impressed, they immediately assigned Vidor to begin working on another vehicle for Davies. The Patsy also served as a big comeback vehicle for Dressler.
- Slide, Anthony (2005). Silent topics : essays on undocumented areas of silent film. Lanham, Md: Scarecrow Press. p. 26. ISBN 9780810850163. OCLC 469961637.
- "Progressive Silent Film List: The Patsy". Silent Era. Retrieved March 29, 2008.
- Lorusso, Edward (2017) The Silent Films of Marion Davies, CreateSpace, pp. 149-150.