The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography is a multi-volume collection of biographical articles and portraits of Americans, published since the 1890s. The primary method of data collection was by sending questionnaires to subjects or their relatives. It has over 60,000 entries, in 63 volumes. The entries are not credited. The overall editor was James Terry White. It is more comprehensive than the Dictionary of American Biography and the American National Biography, but less scholarly because it doesn't cite the original sources used for the information.
- "The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography". New York Public Library. Retrieved 2009-11-30.
This biographical dictionary of Americans is more comprehensive than the Dictionary of American Biography but lacks the scholarly approach and the bibliographies characteristic of the latter work. The entries in the National Cyclopaedia are unsigned and are largely based upon questionnaires and other information supplied by families of the biographees. Since this dictionary is not alphabetically arranged, access to the entries is conducted through the general index. While the focus of this work is on the deceased, volumes entitled "current" or "lettered" include individuals living at the time of compilation. Portraits are supplied throughout the set. ...
- "The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography". Rutgers University. October 28, 2001. Retrieved 2009-11-30.
The most extensive, and least scholarly, of the major biographical sets. Over 66,500 biographical entries based on questionnaires completed by individuals or their families. Includes many names not found elsewhere.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Cyclopædia of American Biography.|
- Hathi Trust. National Cyclopaedia of American Biography fulltext
- The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography By James Terry White, online at Google Books:
- Volume 2, published 1895. John Adams is in Volume 2, page 1.
- Volume 3, published 1893.
- Volume 4, published 1897. Ulysses S. Grant is in Volume 4, page 1.
- Volume 5, published 1894.
- Volume 8, published 1900.
- Volume 9, published 1899.
- Volume 10, published 1909. William Mason is in Vol.10, page 368.
- Volume 11, published 1901.
- Volume 12, published 1904.
- Volume 14 (Supplement 1), published 1910.
- Other volumes are accessible from The Online Books Page
|This article about a non-fiction book on U.S. history is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a biographical dictionary is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|