This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Mission||“To produce high-impact journalism and literary nonfiction that addresses injustice and inequality, catalyzes change, informs and uplifts social movements.”|
Type Media Center (formerly The Nation Institute) is a nonprofit media organization that was previously associated with The Nation magazine. It sponsors fellows, hosts forums, publishes books and investigative reporting, and awards several annual journalism prizes. Orville Schell worked for the organization, and Katrina vanden Heuvel is currently a member of their Board of Trustees. Type Media Center fellows have included Naomi Klein, Wayne Barrett, Chris Hedges, David Moberg, Jeremy Scahill, and Chris Hayes. The organization has also funded podcasts, short-form broadcast media, and documentaries, including several by Habiba Nosheen.
Type is one of the presenters of the Ridenhour Prizes, as well as the Puffin Prize for Creative Citizenship, which is given jointly with the Puffin Foundation. Tom Engelhardt is the creator of the organization’s TomDispatch.com, a widely-syndicated online blog.
Type started its publishing imprint Bold Type Books (formerly Nation Books) in 2000, in partnership with Thunder’s Mouth Press. In 2007, Perseus Books Group acquired Avalon Publishing Group, which was the parent company of Thunder's Mouth Press. Bold Type Books’ current partner imprint is Hachette Book Group.
Type’s investigative newsroom, Type Investigations (formerly The Investigative Fund), was founded in 1996. It is known for producing long-form investigations, primarily for national magazines, into abuses of power, inequality, and government malfeasance. Unlike a conventional outlet that maintains its own distribution platform, Type Investigations primarily publishes via partnerships with print, radio, and television outlets. It is one of the only women-led investigative newsrooms among Institute for Nonprofit News member organizations.
In addition to working with freelance reporters, Type Investigations’ past and current reporting fellows have included Nick Turse, Wayne Barrett, Jeremy Scahill, Sharon Lerner, Janine di Giovanni, Lee Fang, Sarah Posner, John Carlos Frey, and Ali Gharib. The project has received four Emmy Awards, three National Magazine Awards, and a Peabody, and a 2019 investigation into the U.S. Department of the Interior prompted a congressional inquiry.
- "About". Type Media Center. Retrieved 19 September 2019.
- "About". Type Media Center. Retrieved 2019-09-19.
- "Chris Hedges". 2 April 2010.
- "Bio page at The Guardian". www.theguardian.com.
- "The Puffin Prize for Creative Citizenship". www.typemediacenter.org.
- "Book Reviews, Bestselling Books & Publishing Business News - Publishers Weekly". www.publishersweekly.com.
- "» Members » Institute for Nonprofit News". Institute for Nonprofit News. Retrieved 2019-09-19.
- "Reporters". Type Investigations. Retrieved 2019-09-19.
- "Awards". Type Investigations. Retrieved 2019-09-19.
- "Chair Grijalva and Leading Democrats Push Interior Secretary for Documents, Urge Arctic Leasing Pause Pending Investigation of Political Pressure | The House Committee on Natural Resources". naturalresources.house.gov. Retrieved 2019-09-19.