|Also known as||The Ivy League|
|Origin||Solvang, California, United States|
|Genres||Ska punk, reggae, punk rock, pop punk|
|Labels||Fat Wreck Chords|
|Past members||Dustin Lanker |
James William Malis
The Mad Caddies (or the Caddies) are a ska punk band from Solvang, California, United States. The band formed in 1995 and has released seven full-length albums, one live album, and two EPs. To date, Mad Caddies have sold over 500,000 albums worldwide.
The Mad Caddies sound has influences from broad ranging genres including ska (especially ska 3rd wave), punk rock, hardcore punk, reggae, dixieland jazz, Latin music, polka, even cowpunk ("Crew Cut Chuck") and sea shanties ("Weird Beard").
Founding members Chuck Robertson, Sascha Lazor, Todd Rosenberg, and Carter Benson started the group while attending Santa Ynez Valley Union High School. Robertson, Lazor, and Rosenberg are still current members, joined by Graham Palmer on bass, Eduardo Hernandez on trombone, and Mark Bush on trumpet.
In the band's early beginnings in the mid-1990s, they performed as Cracked Macaroni at Santa Ynez Valley Union High School. Shortly thereafter, the band played under the name The Ivy League, but in 1996 they changed their name after signing to the Honest Don's Records label to avoid confusion (and potential litigation) with two prior bands that went by the same moniker. The band's debut album, Quality Soft Core, was released the following year. After the release of the album, the band was signed to Fat Mike's label Fat Wreck Chords, through which the Mad Caddies have released 6 studio albums, 2 EPs and a live album. The Caddies have toured extensively throughout their career including tours across the USA, Europe, Japan, Canada, Mexico, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and South America. Their most recent full-length release, Punk Rocksteady, was released on June 15th 2018 and was produced by Fat Mike. In 2020 the Caddies released a 5 song EP titled "House on Fire" on Fat Wreck Chords.
- Studio albums
- Quality Soft Core (1997)
- Duck and Cover (1998)
- Rock the Plank (2001)
- Just One More (2003)
- Keep It Going (2007)
- Dirty Rice (2014)
- Punk Rocksteady (2018)
- The Holiday Has Been Cancelled (2000)
- 2007 Tour EP (Sold only on their 2007 tour, with 2 new tracks from Keep It Going, plus 4 older songs) (2007)
- House on Fire (2020)
- Live albums
- Songs in the Key of Eh! (Live from Toronto) (2004)
- Live @ Munich Backstage Germany 2007 (only 300 copies of this live DVD were made worldwide)
- Music Videos
- Road Rash (1998)
- Leavin' (2003)
- State of Mind (2007)
- Let it Go (2020)
In 2008 Chuck Robertson started a side project Ellwood which featured Robertson on vocals and guitar, Graham Palmer on bass, Todd Rosenberg on drums, and Dustin Lanker on keys. The band was active from 2008-2012.
Former trumpet player Keith Douglas has been a member of Mariachi El Bronx since 2012 as well as King City with members of Lagwagon and RKL.
Bassist Graham Palmer has fronted his solo project Kinothek since 2008. Since 2020 Palmer has also recorded as Redacted Choir alongside Jordan Dalrymple.
In 2004 Chuck Robertson, Sascha and Carter started together with Derrek Ploude a sideprojekt, called Sweet Action. Today their tracks are really hard to find. The band posted them during the 2000's on Mp3.com and today somebody has put them out on Youtube. Songs like "Did I tell you that I like Bad Religion" have a strong skatepunk direction. The project was a pure Pop-Punk/ Skatepunk project without any horns or Ska-elements. One of their tracks made it to the HAPPY MEALS compilations series on My Records, which was owned by Joey Cape from Lagwagon.
In 2021, it was announced that Chuck Robertson would be releasing a new solo album under his own name.
- Chuck Robertson - lead vocals, rhythm guitar (1995-present)
- Sascha Lazor - lead guitar, banjo (1995-present)
- Eduardo Hernandez - trombone (1996-present)
- Graham Palmer- bass guitar, vocals (2009-present)
- Todd Rosenberg- drums (1995-1999, 2010-present)
- Mark Bush - trumpet, backing vocals (2018-present)
- Keith Douglas - trumpet, vocals (1997-2016)
- Carter Benson - guitar, vocals (1995-2002)
- Dustin Lanker - keyboards (2007-2015)
- Mark Iverson - bass (1995-2006)
- Chris Badham - bass (2006-2008) (touring member)
- Brian Flenniken - drums (2001-2008)
- Boz Rivera - drums (2000-2001, 2008-2009)
- Derrick Plourde - drums (2001)
- Bobby "Moonbird" Vesnaver - trumpet (2014-2015) (touring member)
- Jason "Wild Card" Lichau - trumpet (2015-2017) (touring member)
- Mad Caddies official site
- Interview With Sascha
- Live at GreenSounds Festival, Bucharest 2016 (Gallery)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mad Caddies.|